Chapter 3 - Alone

The day of your wedding was upon you. You and Miguel both looked forward to this day since he proposed. You looked beautiful, and he was absolutely radiant. His smile, his tuxedo, his boutonniere. You and him had both decided that the wedding would be open to Spider Society.

This was for two reasons. For starters, you both wanted the Society to have something to look forward to. The outpouring of love would be phenomenal, seeing every single spider there in their best outfits. It was going to be gorgeous, and you both were looking forward to it.

The second reason was a secret kept between you and him. Miguel wanted the whole of Spider Society to see just how beautiful you were. He wanted them to see you, someone who they all looked up to, be just as magnificent as he got to see daily. He wanted to quietly flaunt the fact that he was getting married to you. You.

But that was back then. Before the distance and the secrecy. Before it felt as though you and him were barely coworkers. Before new recruits had to ask if you two were married or not. Before you were standing here, looking over an alternative Manhattan. The heavy rain limits your vision, and the wind makes it hard to ignore the bullets of water pelting against your back.

Just as discussed, Margo had shut off power to the city, stopping this Electro from drawing power and prolonging the fight. Jessica drew Electro's attention, managing to drive through the Columbus Circle, avoiding the lightning from him. Slowly but surely, he will run out of electricity.

You and Ben Reilly were flanking on opposite sides, occasionally shooting webs in order to restrain him, which further tired out Electro. This went on for at least half an hour, and you were getting annoyed. On top of everything else that has been going on today, you had to deal with a Maxwell Dillon that just won't quit? Not even the rain was slowing him down... which is odd. The water should be causing him to short circuit. You didn't have time to focus on what didn't make sense.

Suddenly, everyone present glitched, even Margo... odd. Your watches were supposed to prevent that. But not today... guess you'll need to take that up with Lyla and tech after the fight.

Speaking of Lyla, she appears on everyone's watches the moment this happens. She's scared shitless. A long stream of "Are you okay?" And "Oh my God," and "What do I do?" All come from her as she quickly tries to figure out something. None of you know it yet, but she called for backup.

The nausea subsides as you and the rest return to normal. Unfortunately for everyone, save for Electro, he recovered first. Ben Reilly bore the brunt of this development, getting shocked hard enough to make anyone pass out. And pass out he did, falling to the ground immediately, tensed and twitching, burns running up his arms. It was horrifying. You push the image out of your mind and try your hardest to focus on the battle at hand.

The backup Lyla had called for previously has arrived, two spiders drag Reilly's seemingly-lifeless body through the portal, where he's presumably sent to the med bay. The three other spiders take to the nearby rooftops. You connect to the watch, presenting a video feed to the new arrivals, explaining what is needed. You let out a quick exhale before beginning.

"Everyone, the goal is to make this Electro dissipate as many volts as possible," you say, dodging lightning. "He's still got a while, so we will need to also land some hits on him. Focus on drawing his attention, and landing attacks that will cause him to struggle."

It seems like a solid plan, having more moving targets means that Electro is more likely to miss. Perfect, you can tire him further. Like clockwork, the spiders begin to shoot webs at the rampant Maxwell Dillon, drawing his lightning and wrath. Just out of curiosity, you call upon Lyla.

"Hey Lyla? Can you run a scan on Electro and tell me how many volts he's holding onto?" You ask, curious to see if she even can see that. "It's okay if you can't, I'm just curious if you can," you assure, flying through the air.