Chapter 5 - Warm Honey

"And then, I broke my guitar on 'is head! It's gonna be hell fixin' it this time."

Hobie was excitedly telling you about a fight versus an alternative of Noir's Sandman. One that didn't die. It made it over to some poor Spiderman's dimension, breaking his hand when he landed a punch. The Spider is currently resting in med bay.

You could hear everything, your coma, much to your surprise, didn't yank that away from you. Granted, it was distorted and weird, almost dreamlike, but you could certainly hear it.

Spider-Noir himself was with Hobie as he said this. While not a part of society, he was visiting in order to give some information regarding his canon and Sandman in particular. Noir was invited to the society years ago due to his combat prowess and incredible deductive skills. However, he declined on the basis that his Earth was about to go to war, and that he needed to be there. He still visits often, however, to see his favorite adopted niece, Peni.

"Well... I'm sorry you couldn't be awake for this, but it was nice seein' ya, Missus O'Hara," Noir said, ever formal and ever so slightly awkward. You and Miguel were secretly hoping Noir would agree to join Spider Society after his universe went through World War II, but it'd be understandable if he didn't. If the experiments his Otto Octavius did on Ellis Island were anything to go off of, Noir was in for one hell of an experience. So instead, he just has a permanent day-pass.

Hobie and the others came in regularly to visit. Telling you about how a mission went, updating you on how the Society is holding up, and many condolences and "wake up soon"-s. You could hear it, for the most part.

What you didn't hear or see, was that Miguel and Hobie would often run into each other. And that each and every time, Miguel would recieve a searing death-glare from Hobie. One that would lessen slightly each time, simmering down to a look of vague disgust. Miguel wasn't upset about it. He felt that he deserved it, and then some.

The entire time you were out, Miguel would say the least out of everyone. He wanted to speak-- and goodness did he have so much to say-- but whenever he attempted to say anything, it would just fall apart into gentle sobs and kisses on your hand.

That was, until one morning, he came in, a little rustling of paper alongside him as he sat down. You couldn't see it, but your husband had wrote a letter. He was never great at expressing the tougher emotions, especially not off the top of his head. "Y/n, my love" Miguel had started.

"I..." he trails off, his voice shaking. "I am so sorry. I've been a terrible husband."

Even with the letter, his throat closed around the words he wanted to say. A feeling you knew all too well was now showing on him. You weren't conscious enough to feel anything regarding his words, not yet at least.

"I know that 'I'm sorry' is far from enough. I know that you may never forgive me, and that you might not even hear me at this moment. I..."

"I know I have a lot to make up for. I am so, so very sorry for the hurt I've caused you, the person closest to me," he manages to say, his voice was nothing but pure guilt. It was like he was choking on his own apology, like the words wanted to spring from the page strangle him itself. He welcomed it.

"I promise to be better, even if it means leaving you be, if that's what you wish for."

His own self-doubt and hatred clouded his judgment. All you had wanted was for him to be present with you. All you had wanted was for him to love you again, and yet he couldn't see that. He couldn't see that you'd welcome him back with open arms, if only he'd let you.

Yes, he had hurt you. Hurt you enough to leave you alone in the penthouse made for two, barely holding yourself together wondering what you did wrong. Hurt you enough to place you atop the Empire State Building, where you cried the moment he showed a simple form of affection. Hurt you enough to make you doubt yourself in a a way not felt since you first became a Spider.