The Thought Of Fresh Meat

(Shorter chapter this time! Alright folks. One last time: if you cant handle animal injury or death, you might wanna stop reading the fic here. this is where it goes to shit.)

The animal sunk its claws into the ceramic floor of the RV, etching deep scars into the tiles.

After its muscles relaxed, it looked up slowly, taking in its surroundings.

The wolf stretched, yawning and baring his teeth.

His spiked, tangled fur was a dark auburn, with highlights of desert brown around his jaw and chest, and on the inside of his pointed, fluffy ears. These highlights were accentuated by walnut brown patches on the tips of his ears and around his unnaturally bright blue eyes.

Walking along the foreign RV, a muffled part of his mind screamed at the mess of fabric and dishes in front of him.

He sniffed the plates.

Meaty.

Food.

He stepped out of the RV, cautiously. He had to find something to eat. Images of the yellow canary from before flashed in his mind. The sun had set already— it would probably be hidden away till morning.

His stomach grumbled. He needed something now. He listened out for anything near he could hunt, his ears twitching. (The idea turned his stomach a little.)

He looked at the trees in front of him. His tail swished slowly from side to side.

There were rabbits in there. (Stop.) He knew that for a fact.

The wolf lowered its body closer to the ground, making its way into the woods.

Step, step. Look around. Every action had been was long distanced from human thought. It was all based on a new primal instinct. 

It was a strange feeling. His brain felt like it had been split in two; one half was afraid. So, so deeply afraid. Of what, he did not have the words to explain, but it was a bone deep terror.

The other half was curious. He felt born anew. Free. Plus, he'd always been one to take advantage of strange opportunities. (Even if to his own detriment.)

The 'curiosity' of this half only further scared the other. (He didn't know which one was truly him. He couldn't remember how to care.)

He stepped deeper into the forest, his mind clouding. He listened for anything that could lead him to food.

Rustling.

He turned his head quickly. That's where he saw it.

("Hey, little buddy. You gave us a big scare.")

A lone white rabbit rummaging between two bushes, probably looking for food of its own.

(No one was there to save it.)

He took small steps, walking close towards the animal, body crouched low towards the ground.

His tail curled, and tucked between his legs. The wolf desperately tried to close its eyes, to stop itself from leaping forward, but he still —

(Please, god, don't make me.)

— pounced, snapping his jaw shut. The taste of blood filled his mouth.

His teeth were clamped around the leg of the rabbit.

(Put it out of its misery.)

The forest was silent.

The wolf slowly released his jaw, licking his teeth free of blood.

The rabbit—

(Breathe.)

The rabbit laid on the ground, twitching. There was no way he would survive this.

The animal clawed at the ground, howling desperately. Crying. Grovelling.

He poked at the rabbit with his nose, whimpering.

(It was suffering.)

He howled again. He wasn't sure why.

(Put it out of its misery.)

His ears went flat against his head.

(It's only natural. You need to eat.)

Apprehensively, he bit the neck of the rabbit.

It quickly stopped twitching.

The rabbit was dead.

(He was a monster.)

The wolf stared at the lifeless body.

(Monsters need to survive, too.)

He licked his lips, staring.

That was the hard part over. Now comes the easy.

The moonlight cast a deep, dark shadow over the rabbit.

...He couldn't do it.

He ran.

And ran. And ran.

Past every tree, bush, everything.

He ran back to the only place he had now. His home. (It was barely that.)

He clawed and scratched at the door, howling and shaking, taste of blood stuck at the back of his mind.

He dashed in, bumping and thrashing against everything, before diving into his bed.

The beast curled up, shivering.

He dragged a blanket over himself, and covered his eyes with his paws.

(Please let this be a bad dream.)

Four wished he could still cry.