Chapter 5 - The First Mission

Dedicated to Paige_06 for the votes and comments on this story so far! I worked hard on this chapter, so i hope you like it!! I'm in love with it! haha :D

Happy reading to you all! Love each and every one of you! Please read and enjoy! 

Narrator’s POV

“Were the hell’s Jonny?” The main Officer shouted as all the other army recruits stood round him. “Jonny!” He shouted again, each recruit looking around. Jonny finally runs into the room, buttoning his jacket up.

“Sorry I’m late, Sir. I overslept!” Jonny said, out of breath. SLAP. The officer’s hand made forceful impact with Jonny’s face.

“Never again. We understand each other?” The officer looked down at Jonny, who just nodded. “Now I’ve called you all here because we have an issue on our hands! The government have called and said we barely have a month to train these kids for the war. They can’t learn everything in a week. We need them to stay here.”

“So what are you saying?” Another recruit asks.

“We’re going to alter the contract, say they signed to live out here for the month. We did it before, the original contracts were for a day… We need to train them, we need to work out who is worth it. We need to scare them.” The officer looked evilly at each recruit.

“But what if they’ve read the contract?” Jonny asked.

“We’re gonna put their signature on the bottom of the altered contract, nothing says truer than that.” The officer smiled. “They’ll have no idea.”

“That’s not legal!” Jonny exclaimed.

“And who’s going to tell me off? The government asked me to do this!” The officer laughed. “Now listen. You’re all going to go to your teams and give them this.” The officer hands each of them an envelope. “This is their first mission. Remember, we’re observing them to see who we train as what. After today’s mission is over, swap the paintballs for bullets. We’ll see who is in this for the fun.”

“We can’t kill them! They’re kids!” Jonny shouted. The officer pulls out his pistol and holds it to Jonny’s forehead.

“Sorry, Jonny. What did you say? Was it something about me being the boss of you and you having to do what I say?” He hinted, pushing the gun into his head. “Do you want to find out if mine was a paintball or a bullet?”

“N-N-No Sir…” Jonny hesitated.

“Jonny, I understand you’re new to this. Your kill rate is miniscule in comparison to us. You’ve only been in the army a few years. Here’s some ground rules for you… One; I’m always right. Two; I’m the boss. Three; You always do as I say. Four; You never ask questions. And five; their contract said they could die.” The officer pulled his gun back and slid it into its holster. “Now, each of these missions will involve going into another campsite, so make sure your kids are prepared for battle. After lunch, there’s no playing about. You’ll collect the bodies of your team. Ok?” The recruits stare blankly at each other. “Understood?” The officer yells.

“Yeah.” The recruits shout back.

Abbie’s POV

I can’t sleep. I probably slept for like three hours before the noises of the woods kept me awake. One of them is snoring as well. God. My head has been on full thinking mode since I woke up. This is all so strange! Why would they whisk us away for a week anyway? Missing a week of school for an afterschool activity? I stared up at the ceiling of my thin, shabby tent and watched it blow in the wind. Any torrential rain and I was going to drown in this tent! It slowly became lighter and the sound of birds tweeting became more obvious. We must finally have reached the morning!