We are friends!

I have never been on a date before. Granted! So...I needed to make sure that I thought about everything carefully. And I did! I truly did! I thought about Francis, the type of person he was, and the type of people we were together. We weren't exactly the type of people who you would describe as puzzle pieces. We didn't fit together completely.

So, I'd describe us as being two positives on a magnet. Which sounds terrible, but I wouldn't lie. We were different from each other, but it kept things interesting. We loved each other despite our differences. It brought us closer. So...I worked with that.

I had something in mind I knew he would love. It would work best for us.

"Arthur, you came to get me and everything! How romantic!"

"Yeah...I told you I was coming...and my hotel was down the street..."

"Arthur, I offered you to stay with me..."

"Yes, but I read that on dates, it is important to pick the person up!"

I had brought him flowers; I was hiding them behind my back, not knowing when the right moment was to give them to him. If I did it later, he'd have to hold onto them. That seems like a nuisance.

"I...Uhh...well!" My voice cracked, and he smirked. I cleared my throat nervously, smiling. "Sorry...I...well, you look nice, first...second! I'm excited! Uh...third..."

"Have you made a list?"

"Please don't make this hard for me..." I spoke. I closed my eyes, trying to calm my racing heart. Seeing him look like this made me nervous. "Oh, my bad...go on...with your list..."

"Cheers...uh...third...I got you these..." I spoke. I Shakingly showed him the flowers from behind my back; his face lit up. "Oh, for me?"

"Who else would they be for?"

"You have such a way with words..."

"Yeah...I have plenty more where that came from! Shall we go!" I asked. He smiled at me, defeated, and turned quickly to set the flowers down. I held out my arm for him to grab, and he looked like a child on a field day.

"You asked me to dress casually; what do you have planned?"

"I was thinking we could...have some fun first..." I explained vaguely. "Okay, so what did you have in mind?" He asked. I was too nervous to say anything. I think all of this was getting overwhelming for me. "Uhh...you will see...when we get there..." I spoke. My voice still sounded shaken up. I felt like such an idiot. This usually wouldn't happen to me.

You'd think I would have been more confident, but no! I guess not! "Let's just walk....in silence..."

"Oh...okay, whatever you say..." he spoke. It was filled with concern. I didn't want him to be concerned! I WANT HIM TO HAVE THE TIME OF HIS LIFE! So! He needs to wait and see.

"Hehehehehe..."

"Arthur, must you laugh so maniacally..."

"I'll show you!"

...

"BEHOLD! MY PLAN!" I held my arms up, and he looked like he was about to burst out laughing. "Laser tag? Oh, you are asking to be beaten again?" He asked. All I could do was smirk at him, mimicking his gestures. "It is perfect for us. Plus, I get to beat you," I smiled. We began walking into the place beside each other, and he kept this pleased look on his face.

I had reserved us a room earlier, so all we had to do was check in and get what we needed. These rooms were interesting. Usually, there would be a big room, and they throw a bunch of people inside, but these were more private. Of course, they had those big rooms, but these smaller rooms were created to count tallies. You could set up a timer, and whoever hits the person the most is the winner.

He followed me in, and I checked us into the room. The worker gave me a card to the room, and I led Francis in the direction. It seemed a little quiet between us, so I tried to break the silence.

"Wow, you don't look so much like a girl with your hair pulled back!"

I am such an idiot! Why was that the first thing I could think of?

"Arthur...You are something else," he laughed. He turned to me with a look of adoration, and I melted. Who knew that all those years of heartache would lead me to this point? I remember crying multiple times, asking god for forgiveness. Asking him why I had to be me. I never wanted to be me...but I was...and it took so long to learn to love. It took so long to accept it.

People use the expression, right person, wrong time. I want to think that is what happened to us. We were always meant to be together, but it was never the right time. However, the only difference we had from others was our privilege. We had the privilege of waiting for the right time, while others didn't.

Now was it....right? I had waited so long. Denied my feelings, and now look at us. We were on a date together, and no one cared. It was exactly how I pictured our future selves. I rushed to open the door for him, and he placed his hand on his heart, flattered. "Wow, I feel so special. Do you plan to be this charming all night? I kind of like it!" he chuckled.

"You bet there is more where that came from!" I smiled. He looked at me for a split second as if he wanted to say something else to me but didn't. He gave me a head nod in acceptance before walking into the room first. As he went in, I could only try and slow my nerves by taking a deep breath. I had looked up at the ceiling, nodding in preparation. Tonight I knew I was going to be frazzled. I just needed to think of it as a friendly get-together! Yes, that would help more than thinking of it as a date.

I GOT THIS!

I was going to let him win, anyway...

Maybe...if he doesn't make me annoyed the entire time.