Tu m'as manqué

September 19, 2022

Who knew that the months would stretch out to over a year? That's how long it had been. Over a year since I had seen my dearest Arthur. Even when that was the case, I still tried to keep up with what he was going through—even the sad stuff.

Now that everything was starting to go back to normal. There were a few things I wanted to do. I wanted to go on that date Arthur asked me on a long time ago. I wanted to see the boys again; I wanted to spend the night with Arthur...I wanted to hug him...kiss him...tell him everything would be alright. Because I knew that's what he needed to hear right now.

I stood beside most of the other nations who were at the viewing. Arthur stood beside his brothers at the end of the cathedral, head hanging low. Although he lost someone dear to him, he didn't show much emotion. The only thing anyone could really sense coming from him was the shock. He had seen many people pass away before, but this one was different. At least, that's what I thought. It was hard to know exactly what he was thinking most times.

...

"Would you rather be stuck in an endless day or an eternal night?"

"Honestly, what is the point?..."

"Just answer!"

"Huhhhhh....let me think....maybe...endless night?"

"Night? But why?"

"I'm not sure...I suppose I'd like to think it would always be calm and comforting. Plus...it would be easier to sleep..."

Arthur and I were sitting beside each other on the grassy field. We were still in our formal clothing and didn't bother to worry about them getting ruined or dirty. After the funeral, we just sat together alone. We didn't talk about us or anyone else...we just...existed beside each other.

"My turn...would you rather die...painlessly alone...or painfully with loved ones around you?..."

"Whoa...that's a bit dark, given the situation," I laughed. He held his knees close to his chest, smiling, rolling his eyes slightly cutely. "Oh, it isn't that dark..."

"Fine....but... I don't see the difference..."

"Hmmm? Why not?..."

"Well...I think being alone would be more painful than physically being in pain with loved ones. Because at least then...my loved ones could reassure me and tell me everything would be fine. However, dying alone is painful on its own...so...I'd rather die a painful death beside my loved ones...in my case, it would probably be Alfred making my last moments painful with his obnoxious talking," I laughed. Arthur looked like he was trying not to laugh, but a giggle slipped out.

"He would cry if he heard that," he smiled. I nodded in agreement, leaning back against the palm of my hands. The view was nice. It was a lovely day out, and I'm sure the coming days would be more enjoyable even if his place were naturally gloomy. It somehow knew when to compensate for it.

"Will you be alright?" I asked. I looked at him with a smile, and he nodded slowly. "Of course...it is one of those things that would make anyone sad, but I'm used to stuff like this. We all are..."

"Yes...but...she wasn't just like the others..."

"I know...and that makes it harder, but life continues...especially for us. She lived a long life, and it was bound to happen eventually. I had prepared myself. But not to worry! I'm great," he smiled. He stared at me keenly. I knew he was telling me the truth. I knew I didn't have to worry about him, but I still did. It was my job to worry about him because who else would do it?

I mean, who else was going to actually make sure he was fine?

Arthur was a good person deep down. He yearned to be loved; I just knew it. He was a hopeless romantic...well...he was a hopeless everything. He was afraid of caring too much, but I didn't mind. I suppose him being a low-maintenance person attracted me to him the most.

I was very high maintenance, and he didn't seem to mind it. I think he deeply liked the type of person I was. Well, I'd like to think that even though we fought all the time, he truly liked the person I was. That he wasn't just attached to my pretty face and our long history together. Every time I looked at him, that was all I hoped.

That he liked the person I was.

"That's good; you have always been so strong..."

"Are you teasing me?"

"No! No! I mean it! Genuinely!"

We both began to laugh, and I reached my hand toward his. He had been resting it against the freshly cut grass. We would for sure have grass stains on us later. "Well...if it is alright...I'd still like to take you on that date," he spoke. It was soft, and he didn't bother looking me in the eyes.

If he did, I would have seen how embarrassed he had gotten. His ears always turned red, and he kept a serious expression on. He avoided my gaze because he knew how dilated his pupils would get looking at me. "Is this really the place to be planning a date?" I teased.

"Oh please...I just wanted to clarify that I was serious...and that it wasn't a spur-of-the-moment thing. I...admire humans and their ability to give names to concepts... a 'date' is so interesting..."

"Well, was that our doing or theirs?"

"I can't recall...I don't think I invented the word date..."

"Of course, you wouldn't have. You aren't that smart. Unlike me...I invented the word guillotine..."

"YOU DID NOT!"

"I did! You don't believe me?"

"Pfft, hardly..." Arthur rolled his eyes, laughing. He was so beautiful. I nudged him a bit, smiling. "Alright, you seem serious about this! And I accept! You can plan the date, and I'll do anything you want! I'm sure it could be fun!"

"Right! It could help..." he spoke. I felt a bit confused, and he noticed. "I mean...to confirm how we feel if this is something we want..." he explained. His pupils dilated, and his lower lip twitched. He was nervous. "Well, I've had it confirmed for a few hundred years, but if you still need some clarification, I will wait. There is no rush. Besides, I have all the time in the world to get you to fall in love with me," I smiled.

His eyes widened, and his mouth parted. "You...what?" He asked. He had begun stumbling over his words as he looked at me in disbelief. I wasn't going to lie to him! It was true.

I've felt this way for a long time, and now that there is a chance for me to be with him, I wasn't going to be soft. I was going to hit him with everything I had. I will flirt, seduce, and make this man fall in love with me.

In a nice way, of course.

"Yes! You heard me! If you need clarification, I will be here to help. I will do everything I can to ensure you have fallen in love with me. So much that you wouldn't know what to do with yourself," I spoke. It was like his head exploded. I was so lucky to be the one he could show emotions like this. It was my favourite part of all of this. "Please! IF ANYTHING, I WILL BE THE ONE DOING THAT!"

"Eh? You must have won because I already feel that way!"

"WHAT? Don't just say stuff like that; someone will hear!"

"If anyone were to hear, it would be because of you and your inability to talk normally!"

"Oh, that's great coming from you! 'Oh, look at me, I'm France, and I love making sure I'm the centre of attention' blah blah blah!"

Ahhh, he really couldn't be honest with himself. I don't think these feelings will ever go away. I'm in too deep. I wanted more from him than he realized; now I could feel it. I would finally get the "happy ending" for once.