Chapter 11: Rasmus

In the latter days, the residence of Clan Head Dark was in turmoil. The final preparations for student-mages arrival were in the process of making. Servants ran and scurried back-forth, creating an unbearable atmosphere and chaos in the palace.

Rasmus, desiring only peace and quiet from this horrible noise, often sat in the library, delving into the old archives. He wanted to understand the power of the Seal of Seven Elements and how to manage it. As the emperor Dorian the Great have said to him, "With great power comes great responsibility." Even though Rasmus aspired to subdue all the seven mage clans, ruling over them, he did not wish to repeat the fate of the late grandfather.

No matter how hard the man tried to concentrate on the text in front of him, he still could not get his last meeting with indigo hooded person out of his mind.

"Master Dark, I'll have to admit you did well with all the tasks I handed you," derided Luoyang, making Rasmus clench his jaw. "Suppose it finally came time for me to repay your loyalty."

Clan Leader cocked his head to one side, staring in disbelief.

"I will get you one of the six remaining pieces of the seal," the smirk in his voice was evident. This person was beyond arrogant.

"You meant steal it," corrected Rasmus, "the mages will pursue and catch you. It's not possible to get close to the vault unless you are the head of the clan. Moreover, only they know the exact location of their pieces. Guards patrol the whole domain nearby. Even with your...pet, getting there and even more so, trying to pick up the seal would be an extremely challenging task."

"I am pleased with your concern for the success of my mission," gibed Luoyang, "however, I'm quite sobber in assessing my capabilities. There is nothing to prevent me from taking the seal from one of the six clans. In this case, rely on me, Master. You've done your part of the deal and now it's my turn."

Rasmus' scoff caused a sly laugh from the other side. "Although, I acknowledge that without your support, I won't be able to carry out my plan."

"Speak your mind."

"We'll need to lure Clan Leaders and their children out of the residences," announced the hooded man. "You must send out invitation letters to all of them for the scheduled training course. And to add fuel to the fire, set a date the same as Tero Clan did for the anniversary of Clan Leader Serene's wedding. Thus, there will be no one left in the palaces, but a handful of young students, guards and elders who are immersed in secluded meditation."

"I'll certainly get the backlash," pondered aloud Master Dark.

"That's the idea. You will know who is who, and later you deal with each of them separately," gave him clues Luoyang back then.

That was something to think over. Who can potentially be his ally and who is a definite enemy. For now, all clans wrote him back, except Tero and Aisu. Serene must be perplexed, as this training affects her celebration. She might ignore the invitation and her children won't even attend, it's in her right to act like it. On the other hand, is Eri. Stubborn as a ram and cold as frost ice, she is unpredictable to me. Considering my grandfather assassinated her husband doesn't make things any easier. Besides, I don't believe she forgave my clan for it.

"You look troubled," a familiar feminine voice pulled Rasmus out of the veil of restless thoughts.

"Felicia," emitted Clan Leader, turning his head, "what are you doing here?"

"The same as you, hiding from the irritating clamor," she smiled, sitting beside.

It was good to have Clan Head's privileges. This library was only accessible to Rasmus and his family, so no wonder why his wife suddenly appeared here too.