Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The bright sun startles my eyes. As my eyes sweep the landscape I go into shock. The arena is the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life! I was expecting something more frightening, evil, terrible, barren, and dead! Not a place with perfect trees outlining the forest, beautiful birds soaring in the sky, butterflies (at least I think that’s what they are), flower patches as far as the eye can see! And the fluffiest and whitest of clouds contrasting against a perfect blue sky. I’m mesmerized for a few seconds until I realize, it’s TOO perfect! It must be a trick of the gamemakers! All these thoughts pass through my mind in no more than 10 seconds. I get into a crouch ready to start running as fast as I can to the cornucopia which sits no more than 20 meters away. A simple sprint! I get ready just in time, too. The voice of Claudius Templesmith rings out, “Let the 50th Hunger Games begin!” and with that the gong sounds. I don’t waste a second I’m at the cornucopia in the matter of seconds. I grab what I want and run to the forest as fast as my legs will carry me! I want to get out of there before the bloodbath begins. I turn around to see a dagger heading straight for my head.

~*~*~*~Flashback~*~*~*~

            I wake up huddled next to my twin and my best friend. I wonder for a moment why I feel so terrible. Then it all comes back. Today is the day of the reaping, and to make it worst it’s not just another Hunger Games reaping; it’s the reaping for the Quarter Quell. This year twice as many boys and girls from each district will be going. I don’t have any terrasea so my chances are slim, but it’s still possible that I could be picked. I curl into a ball. I’m shaking, I’m so scared! The next few hours go by in a blur. It feels like seconds since I woke up. I’m surrounded by other kids my age and gender in a closed off pen. I feel claustrophobic. Next to me are the best people in the world, my twin and practically sister. The mayor starts his yearly speech about the wars and how the Hunger Games came to be. A lady that looks very uppity comes forward, “Ladies first!” she calls. Time moves slowly. She takes her time just for the suspense. Then she calls a name that’s not mine, it’s a girl from the seam. I let out my breath; I’m not going to the Hunger Games. Then, to my surprise, I hear my name. Confusion strikes me, and then I remember. It’s twice the amount of girls. I almost faint. I detach myself from the rest of the world and try to look strong as I climb up to the stage. The lady from the capitol shakes my hand and continues with the boys. I bite my lip on a failed attempt to keep it from quivering. The first name called is a boy from the seam. I catch his eye and break away quickly. I can’t help feeling scared of him. He’s strong, and looks very cunning. I block everything out until the train ride.

~*~*~*~*~*~

            I lift the pack I grabbed and cover my head the pack saves me but sadly the knife dislodges from it and I don’t dare head back to get it. I don’t really have much of a certain strength. I can heal somewhat, I can also climb and throw a knife, not well but enough to kill. I’m also very smart. I walk and run for about an hour. I decide I’m too tired to continue so I stop and choose a place to stay. I choose a medium height tree that’s in a clump. I climb up pretty high and change my mind and climb down a bit lower. I settle in a branch fork. I open my pack to search its contents. I find 5 packs of dried fruits, a gallon of water, and some dried beef, a loaf of bread, 4 knives, some netting and a blanket. I pack it all back and realize I have a lot of food. It can only mean that nothing here is safe to eat. I fall asleep thinking that I have to be very careful about what I do here. I wake up to a scream. I look down and see a girl getting ripped to shreds by a pack of squirrels. It takes all my strength to not scream. I think she’s from district 4. I can tell because of her striking green eyes and bronze skin. She has dark brown hair cropped very short and raggedly like she did it in a hurry. I turn because the once beautiful girl is staring at me pleadingly, but I can’t, I just can’t. A minute later I look back hearing nothing but her cannon. I make sure the sights clear and climb down. I start to run. I don’t want to be killed by those carnivorous creatures. I stop to catch my breath and eat something then I hear them. They are trudging along loudly. I freeze it must be the careers! I quickly regain my posture and fly up a tree. What I once thought the careers turns out to be lone tribute.

~*~*~*~Flashback~*~*~*~

            It’s time for opening ceremonies. I look hideous in a plain coal-miners outfit. I wish my stylist was better! I catch Haymitch’es eye again, the boy from the seam, and hold his gaze. He strides over to where I’m standing. “So what do you think about all this?” he asks nonchalantly.

            “Well, I’d have to admit I’d LOVE the Capitol, if it wasn’t the Capitol,” I exaggerate love by stretching it out to spell it more like loooooooooooooove. He looks back at me and chuckles. And too soon it’s our turn. I hold my breath as our chariot heads to the adoring crown.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This is my second story and I think it’s gonna be MUCH better than my first! I have it all planned out!!!! So please comment and check out my other story (Peeta’s Story- Catching Fire) even if it’s not as good. THX!!!!!!!!!!!!