Dinner

Haya needed to be grateful that eyes couldn't kill because if they could she would have been 12 feet under the ground twice over Meerab thought.

The dinner was a disaster Haya was constantly sending thinly veiled longing glances at Murtasim that hadn't gone unnoticed by anyone. Murtasim was irritated, Marium was coolly ignoring it Meerab was pretending that haya didn't exist but Maa Begum was seething. If it wasn't for Murtasims birthday she would have slapped her by now. Meerab had no pity for haya but even she shuddered to think what Maa Begum would do to her after the dinner was over.

Haya had dressed herself in an eye hurting green Sharara totally inappropriate for both the weather and the occasion. It was also accompanied by a completely horrible hairstyle and so much makeup that Meerub feared her pores would never recover from it. The only thing she was going to attract with such blingy looks were insects because Murtasim was way out of question.

And the bane of her existence was currently trying to get Murtasims attention by pointing at the dishes she had specially gotten made for him, apparently all his favorites. Of course he had chosen to shut her down completely by simply stating that he wasn't in the mood and asking the staff to quickly get him a salad. Hayas hopeful glances desperate for his appreciation has quickly been stopped by Maa Begums glares. Angry at the thought of her son not eating at a feast prepared for him.

Meerab signed pushing her food around the plate, her appetite long gone.

And to think that the night had started of so well, Murtasim hadn't been able to take his eyes off her even though she was dressed in a simple red anarkali, her hair falling in gentle waves the only jewelry she wore was her engagement ring the emerald at its center perfectly contrasting with her attire. She had even gotten a few stolen moments with Murtasim in his study as she had been sent to fetch him for dinner.

Now both their moods were completely ruined and since she sat at the opposite end of table with Marium she didn't even have the luxury of discreetly brushing her hand against his in an effort to calm him a little. What she wouldn't give to be back in his room like the morning or even his study.

The only silver lining was that it was the last course soon desert would be brought out and they could all be free of this awkward dinner with the only conversation happening between Maa Begum and Anwar Chacha and even that seemed forced.

Still she was anxious and excited for the desert to be brought out. She had spent half the afternoon toiling away in the kitchen trying to make the perfect kheer. The internet and YouTube being her only help. She could have easily called her mother and asked for advice but it would make her look too enthusiastic. Instead she had scoured the internet to find the perfect recipe with tips and tricks for beginners.

She hoped he would like it. Her eyes subtly gleamed as Feena brought the kheer bowl out. She crossed her fingers under the table as if waiting for an exam result.

"Aur kuch toh tumne khaya nahi" maa begum said her words accompanied by a pointed look at haya "par apni manpasinda kheer toh khani hogi tumhari mangater ne banai hai" she finished with a sense of pride in her voice as if meerab had prepared a feast for hundred people.

He looked up, directing his gaze towards her and raised an eyebrow purely for show meerab internally scoffed as if he wasn't aware that she would be making it for him.

"Par maa begum uska kuch khane ka Maan nahi hai toh rehne dete hai na." Haya butted in.

"Haya agar kuch acha nahi bol sakti toh muh band karke raha karo." maa begum repraminded her.

"Murtasim beta Khao" she ordered.

"Ji maa" he said with fake resignation as if it was such a burden to eat it.