Birthdays

Murtasim didn't believe in birthdays being special well he didn't believe in his birthday being special. Even as a kid he hadn't has much excitement for this day and it had only reduced as he had grown up. It was a normal day for him like any other. His mother insisted on a lavish party every year only to be disappointed by his refusal and finally settling on a family dinner. One that would probably have more food than a small army required.

"Happy Birthday Mr Khan" a sweet voice had called out to him.

If he had whipped his neck any faster it probably would have been permanently damaged but even that would have been worth the sight that awaited him Meerub in all her glory. She dragged a trolley with her that had tea and snacks placed on it. Definitely his mother's doing.

She giggled making his heart flutter.

He walked towards her

"Please keh do yeh koi khwaab nahi" whispering afraid that she would disappear if he disturbed the environment too much.

"Fikr mat karo Tumhari Haqeeqat he hoon"

"How are you here?"

"Your mother and my parents firmly insisted I be here on your birthday." She had given a token protest before agreeing, as if her heart had wanted anything other than being with him on such a special day

"I so wish mein tumhe 12 bje he face to face wish kar sakti" she expressed her desire her voice laced with longing. She had called him at 12 sharp wanting to be the first one to wish him but video calls had done nothing but increase her want of being with him

"Who insisted on not getting married until after your final exams .... oh it was you"

"It's a necessary evil also we can't exactly appear so eager to get married it would cause suspicion plus I like this courtship phase." and she truly did these six months were giving them time with each other the time they wouldn't have been afforded if they had agreed to get married soon.

It was also fun to see Maa Begum and her parents trying to find excuses to get them to spend time together without anybody around. A luxury most couples in their society would never be afforded. And spending time together was exactly what they needed and wanted.

"Also the only reason we get so much uninterrupted time with each other is because your mother thinks we hate each other's guts. I sometimes fear if she ever finds out about us she would break our engagement out of sheer spite." Even the thought sending chills down her spine. One of the reasons she was so vigilant in his home and even outside the thought of losing him physically pained her even the possibility of it would break her heart into a million irreparable pieces.

"Tumhe mujse dur kar sake iss kainat mein Aisa na koi shaks hai na koi takat" he assured her he wouldn't give her up for anything in the world and anything outside of it.

"I know" her trust in him stronger than it was in anyone or anything else.

She attempted to lighten the mood by changing the topic.

"Would you please stop sending so many gifts to my hostel. I swear half the people there probably think I am marrying for money" the man spent ridiculously on her not a week went by without her receiving packages of clothes, makeup, jewelry or even books. And when he could manage to visit Islamabad he spoiled her rotten by taking her to the fanciest of restraunts. His money and influence getting them privacy that would have been impossible to attain in Hyderabad or Karachi.