Chapter 16

Zhan packed the last few things into his backpack for the trip he was going to take with Yibo. He was nervous to say the least. First of all, he has no idea how the 3 hour card ride will go with his almost 5 month old daughter. Second of all, he would be meeting Yibo's mother and her husband which he was terrified to meet. And lastly, he would be spending the next few days with Yibo. Yibo who was the only other man he's ever been with and who was 12 years younger than him. The one he hadn't stopped thinking about since their night together.

Exactly one year ago he was thinking about how this fall he would be dressing up his little girl in fall colors and take family portraits, but now he was going on a trip with his daughter, going through a divorce, and spending time with a 19 year old he met in his online college course.

He set Yanli down on the couch while he continued to fix all the things into his backpack. All morning he was having second thoughts about the trip and almost called Yibo to cancel, but Ziyi persuaded him to go because she hoped that it would cheer him up and forget about everything that had happened in the past few weeks at least for a few days. Zhan also decided to go because Ziyi had an important test coming up and she needed to study for and having Yanli out of the house would be good.

The doorbell rang and Zhan quickly opened it. Yibo stood in the doorway with an empty carrier for Yanli. "Good morning, Yibo," he said motioning him to come inside.

Yibo put the carrier on the coffee table while Zhan picked up Yanli. Zhan carefully placed Yanli into the carrier only to wince in pain as he set her down. Yibo noticed and concerned asked, "What's wrong?"

Zhan rubbed his wrist delicately and replied "Nothing,". He continued to buckle Yanli into the seat and then he reached to get the backpack, but Yibo took his hand in his and checked his wrist carefully.

"What happened?" Zhan's wrists was swollen and had a purple and green ring all the way around. Zhan pulled his hand away and began to pick up his backpack. "It was him, wasn't it?"

Zhan's eyes began to well up, but he held them in. "Let's not talk about him please," he begged. Yibo wanted to let out his frustration, but after seeing Zhan barely holding it together, he stopped himself. Yibo took the backpack and the carrier and began walking towards the door. "I'll carry everything." Zhan nodded.

Zhan followed quietly behind Yibo until they reached the parking garage. Zhan was surprised to see a brand-new SUV waiting for them. Yibo opened the back seat door and carefully placed Yanli into the base of the car seat with Zhan carefully right behind him making sure he was doing it properly. "I watched a video. Don't worry," Yibo said, turning around and smiling at him.

Zhan decided to sit in the front since Yanli was sleeping soundly. The car smelled brand-new and Zhan couldn't help but wonder when Yibo got this car. "Did you just get this car? I'm surprised you didn't try taking us on a motorcycle."

Yibo laughed. "There wasn't a helmet small enough for Yanli."

After a couple of minutes driving, Yibo parked the car and told Zhan, "I'll be right back."

Yibo hurriedly entered a nearby pharmacy, and within a few minutes, he emerged with a white plastic bag in hand. As he settled back into the car, he revealed a box containing an ointment. Yibo turned to Zhan, gently taking his hand. Without uttering a single word, he carefully applied the ointment to Zhan's bruised and swollen wrist, providing relief without causing any pain. The touch of Yibo's hands felt tender, like gentle caresses, leaving Zhan with a fluttery feeling in his stomach. His heart raced as Yibo continued to massage the cream into his soft skin. Zhan's face blushed, and as Yibo finished the massage.

Zhan gently pulled his hand away from Yibo's touch and whispered, "Thank you." Yibo continued the drive while Zhan kept checking on Yanli every few minutes. He was surprised she stayed asleep the whole ride over.