Chapter 21

Cassia is Just a Seasoning

As the news reached Chu Yu's ears, her expression underwent a subtle transformation. The realization hit her with a forceful impact.

The moment she lost consciousness, it was around six o'clock in the morning. Qingyu, their household help, usually woke up at that time to prepare breakfast, and they would all sit down to eat at seven.

Considering it was now around twelve o'clock, it meant that the old man had arrived approximately at ten. During those three hours of unconsciousness, she had been oblivious to whatever transpired.

It was those three hours that held the key to her situation.

But what could have happened in such a short span of time? Could she have been rapidly cured and all her symptoms vanished without a trace?

Even Dr. Xu, a seasoned physician, was at a loss.

"Dr. Xu, I assure you that I am not joking. The books my father gave me contain no medical knowledge or records of illnesses. These anomalies I'm experiencing are not something I conjured up."

"I wasn't even aware that these symptoms indicated poisoning," Chu Yu asserted without flinching, her words laced with earnestness. "What I've shared with you is what I witnessed. Dr. Xu, do you truly believe I could fabricate such vivid and realistic nonsense?"

Witnessing the gravity in the young girl's unwavering gaze, Dr. Xu's countenance grew solemn, and he whispered,

"Could it be, Miss Chu, that you've been carrying a dormant toxin within you? Something that remains hidden most of the time, only surfacing during exceptionally peculiar moments, eluding my detection?"

Dr. Xu did not outright dismiss her claims solely based on her tender age; instead, he offered an alternative possibility.

This revelation eased Chu Yu's apprehension.

She understood that the more proficient a physician was, the more resolute they tended to be in their convictions. They would seldom entertain doubts from others and considered their own observations as the ultimate truth.

Thankfully, Dr. Xu did not possess such an unwavering disposition.

"Miss Chu, why don't we conduct another examination together?" he suggested.

However, as they reevaluated her, Chu Yu's countenance grew grim.

All the symptoms she had observed had vanished!

While examining herself, she had detected faint remnants, indicative of a moderate level of poisoning. Yet now, there was only a slight weakness remaining.

"Miss Chu," Dr. Xu observed her expression and ventured a guess, "Could it be that the high fever triggered hallucinations? The symptoms you experienced might have been a result of that."

Chu Yu maintained her composure, refusing to reveal her frustration. She felt that Dr. Xu was treating her like a mere child.

Though she was indeed only five years old presently, she did not believe that everything she had experienced until now was merely a figment of her imagination.

It was plain to her that these symptoms were not isolated to today; they had plagued her ever since she crossed over.

If all those days were mere illusions, then could she be living within a dream at this very moment?

The thought was disconcerting, to say the least.

Chu Yu decided to change the subject, redirecting the conversation. "Dr. Xu, may I see the prescription you modified for me?"