Chapter 2: Making Friends

On our first day of school, well I suppose technically it was the first day of class, we spent most of our time running over the course objectives. To my classmates' surprise teachers didn't discipline so as a result they talked, slept, and texted throughout the class. Occasionally students wouldn't even show up for class at all.

If I wasn't 100 percent confident before I am now after witnessing my teacher's behavior. I thought about all the different variables and pieces of information I've learned so far and it all leads to the classes fighting with each other. However, I'm still missing something. What's the point, why bother participating in said conflict, what's our incentive? I haven't been able to come to a conclusion yet. I am certain about one thing, the first year's first test has already begun, and my class has no idea.

"This school is seriously too indulgent."

"You think?"

"Of course, I do. These kids don't even bother paying attention in class. I can't believe the government has the nerve to dub this an elite school."

"Mabey they are just trying to promote induvial autonomy," I responded.

"Perhaps."

"Anyway, earlier Hirata invited me to go to lunch with him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you tagging along. This could be a good opportunity for you to make some friends."

"I thought I told you already I don't need friends."

Ugh...

With that, I made my way over to Hirata and the girls swarming him.

"Hey Hirata and everyone, you ready to get going."

"Oh, Ayanokoji. Yeah, let's go." Hirata responded.

Currently, we all are at the cafeteria. I'm sitting next to Hirata and sitting across from Karuizawa, Sato, and Mei-yu.

I had decided to accompany this group to experience a typical lunchtime conversation, hoping for a glimpse of what normal social interactions were like.

Despite being at this school for over 24 hours, I hadn't truly engaged in a regular conversation. I was genuinely curious about it. So, I spent the next 10-15 minutes just listening to their conversation. Unfortunately, it mainly revolved around Karuizawa and Sato excitedly planning their shopping spree, prompting Hirata to advise them on spending their points wisely and with moderation. His advice was actually quite important, although I don't think he realized it.

To be honest, It was rather dull. Karuizawa briefly showed a hint of fear in her eyes when she looked at me but apart from that nothing particularly noteworthy occurred. I guess 'small talk' just isn't for me.

"So are you actually going to like say anything Ayanokoji? I was surprised you even wanted to tag along with us but you've just been sitting there saying nothing."

Suddenly putting all the attention on me Karuizawa looked over at me with a glance that seemed to question my presence here.

"Well, I guess you could say I'm just not the talkative type. However, if you'd like me to contribute to the conversation, I agree with Hirata about saving our points. I don't think we'll receive another 100,000 points next month."

Lets see what they do with this.

"Wait, I mean I could be wrong about this, but didn't Chiyabashira-Sensei say we will get 100,000 every month."

"Yeah, Mei-yu's right didn't Chiyabashira-Sensei say that."

Sato now with a puzzled expression looked to me to explain. Everyone else grew quiet awaiting my response.