Chapter 2

OUT THERE

Quasimodo dropped down from the bells, birds rising from the floor around him. Quasimodo heads for the balcony as the birds fly off into the sky, stopping at the edge where two gargoyles sat. The Gargoyle on the right had its mouth open, where a nest layed. Quasimodo smiles happily as he looks at the nest before leaning in closer. There layed a baby bird, fast asleep.

"Good morning" Quasimodo greeted the tiny bird softly. The baby bird jolts awake, chirping in surprise before smiling over at Quasimodo. "Will today be the day? Are you ready to fly?" The bird frowns and looks down unsure before chirping sadly. Quasimodo looks at the baby bird in surprise and frowns "You sure? It's a good day to try." He encouraged before picking the small bird up in his palm as he continued "Why, If-If I picked a day to fly, oh, this would be it." He tells it before cupping his hands up for the bird to look over the edge, where a festival was being set up.

"The festival of fools."

The chick gulped nervously, looking back at Quasimodo and chirping nervously. 

"It will be fun with jugglers and-and-and music and dancing." As he rambled he bounced the bird up as it flapped its wings, before bringing his hands away as it stayed in the air. He laughs in amusement as the bird looks at him shocked, seeing as he pulled his hands away.

The bird chirps happily at this new development before dropping back down as Quasimodo cups his hands again. As the bird lands in his palms a flock of birds passes by causing the baby to chirp excitedly.

Quasimodo smiles warmly at it before speaking "Go on. Nobody wants to be cooped up in here forever" Quasimodo pets its head before speaking again "Oh! And-and say goodbye to Mira before you leave!" He says hurriedly as the baby lifts from his palms again to take off. The baby bird looks back at Quasi and nods before diving down into the town, going to find Mira before it leaves.

Quasi smiles before frowning as he looks back in his words. He looks down sadly before jumping in surprise as the gargoyle that had the nest in its mouth came alive and spit out the bird's nest and all the feathers that were in it.

"Oh, man! I thought he'd never leave. I'll be spittin' feathers for a week." The gargoyle complains as he continues to spit out feathers from his mouth. "Well that's what you get for sleeping with your mouth open." The Gargoyle on Quasimodo's left says. The Gargoyle laughs sarcastically before answering him "Go scare a nun." He then jumps closer to Quasimodo, hugging on to his arm "Hey, Quasi, what's goin' on out there? A fight? A flogging?" He asks him as he flutters his now long eyelashes at him.

"A festival." The other Gargoyle answers with a smile as he gazes down while Quasi continues to be quiet. "A festival? You mean a feast of fools?" The big gargoyle asks excitedly. "Uh-huh." He answers, boredly.

"All right, all right! Pour the wine and cut the cheese." The big gargoyle says as he makes armpit farts with each syllable. Quasimodo rests his face against his hands as he looks down at the festival sadly, the two gargoyles not noticing.

"It is a treat to watch the colorful pageantry of the simple peasant folk." The slim gargoyle says with a sophisticated accent before being pushed out of the way as the big gargoyle pushes Quasimodo "Boy, nothin' like balcony seats watching the ol' FO.F." the big gargoyle rants excitedly.

"Yeah, watching." Quasimodo mumbles sadly, walking away as the big gargoyle looks down with an evil smirk, not noticing Quasi left. "Oh, look. A Mime." He rubs his hands together mischievously before snorting and clearing his throat, trying to make a Loogie to spit onto the mime. He goes to spit when the skinny gargoyle covers his mouth, causing his eyes to widen before gulping down the saliva. The gargoyle motions to where Quasimodo went and they both turn around in surprise.