Chapter 4

Wren's POV

I rushed through the hallways to my locker as fast as I could, being careful not to look back. A rush of relief swept through me when I saw Lucas waiting for me.

"Hey Wren", he greeted. "How was social class?"

"Surprisingly eventful", I said. That was a serious understatement.

"Hmm. Did you hear about that Cameron Boyce guy?"

"What about him"

"He transferred here", Lucas said. Yeah, like that was news to me. "Weird having a celebrity in our school."

"Tessa must be going crazy", I said casually. So far, no one knew about Cameron and I. No need to make it known now.

"Have you seen him yet?", he asked.

"Unfortunately, yes", I answered. I looked up to see Cameron making his way down the hall, looking for me. I quickly grabbed Lucas by the arm and pulled him into an empty classroom.

I had weighed my options and the way I saw it, I could tell Lucas and get him to help me, or I could wait for the secret to surface on its own. Lucas seemed like the safer option.

"Wren, what are we doing here?", he asked.

"Lucas, listen carefully. There's something I need to tell you."

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

"You what!?", Lucas yelled. I had just finished telling him about my "summer romance" with Cameron. The reaction? Nothing I hadn't expected.

"Are you crazy? That guy could be dangerous!", he scolded.

"Well he's messed up now, but I swear, he was different then."

"Oh my gosh. What are you going to do?", he asked as he ran his fingers through his short brown hair.

"Avoid him as much as possible. And make sure that no one finds out."

"Especially Tessa", Lucas added.

"Right. She'd have my head on a silver platter if she found out."

"No kidding. Well whatever happens, I'm with you through this."

"Thank you", I breathed.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

I was standing by my locker after school when I heard footsteps approach me from behind. Cameron. I could recognize those footsteps anywhere.

"Before you say anything", I said, turning around to face him. "Know that I'm not interested in apologies or sympathy or anything else to have to offer me."

"I wasn't going to-"

"And I'm not interested in hearing your explanation for the past year. I mean, let's face it. You're over it. I'm over it. So what else matters?", I interrupted.

"Well aren't you a ray of sunshine", he said sarcastically.

"And you are the rain clouds. What do you want?"

"I want to know who your school drug dealer is." My jaw dropped in disbelief. Was he serious?

"Holy crap Wren, I'm kidding", he said. "You know, for a freaking ray of sunshine, you're not very bright."

"Hmm. You're good at this comeback game. I'd love to play another round, but I need to go throw up now", I said dramatically. "See ya."

"Wren wait." I stopped walking and faced him. "It's been a year", he said. "We're both different now. It wouldn't have worked out anyway."

"Look at you", I said. "Haven't even been back a day and you're already making excuses." I smiled a sly, mysterious smile and backed away. "Like freaking clockwork", I said and walked away.

Well my senior year just go a lot more complicated.

****************************

Hi readers,

I hope you liked this chapter! I really like writing dialogue between Wren and Cameron.

Today marks exactly 1 week until school is over for me! I'm pretty sure a lot of you are finishing up school for the year right now. Pretty exciting!

Keep reading, I'm going to try and update as much as I can. Comments appreciated,

That_Epiphany

P.S. Thank you for the votes on every chapter so far!