Chapter 8 - Learning

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎   ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

A stack of paperwork lies in front of Elise as she sits at the back of the library, her eyes squint and her eyebrows furrow reading her mathematics homework.

"If a train A arrives at 9:23am at 72 mph and train B arrives at 10:27am-"

Elise pushed her homework aside aggressively, causing several papers falling to to ground which angered the librarian. Elise could not focus, her mind was preoccupied with Anna. Nurse Deborah took her to the hospital a week ago but the students are given little updates, only simple told she is "doing fine" to keep their minds at ease.

The six pills Anna took were impossible to forgot. Elise wondered how strong the pills were, how many Olive took, and if Anna is even alive, it wouldn't surprise Elise if the staff are lying to the students to stop people questioning about her wellbeing. Elise crouched to the ground and gathered the fallen pages as quietly as possible. While low on the ground, Elise saw a stack of books on an untouched shelf.

828.12 - Drugs and Medication 

Elise picked up her belongings from and walked towards the shelf. The books were incredibly old, ripped on the edges and a layer of dust coating the tops of the books. She ran her finger across the shelf, allowing the dust to clump up on her finger before flicking it to the ground. Elise turned her head anti-clockwise to read the title of these ancient books.

'Advancements in Pharmaceuticals'
'A General Overview of Antibiotics' 
'Drug Delivery Systems'

Every title was meaningless to Elise, but for any hope, Elise flicked through the books, attempting to find an image of green and yellow pills. But nothing was found.

Elise bent down and saw a large green book. While it did not stick out initially between all the other old, science books, this one was different, it was clean. No dust, almost a clear line between where the dust of the other books began. Elise quickly read the fading title.

''Forgive Me: The History of Unstable Drugs' by Richard Senowitz''

Elise felt her stomach drop, she wondered why someone was researching about unstable drugs, and who needed the information.

Without thinking, Elise lurched her arms forward and grabbed the book with both hands, but the book was lighter than expected, and she lost her grip. When picking the book up, she was surprised she could bend and curve the cover, until she realised it was simply it's cover. Elise began to panic, checking if all the other books were simply covers but no, it was only the book she wanted. She tossed and turned the useless cover in her hand before seeing a tag on the back.

"COVER ONLY. BOOK AVAILABLE FOR 16+. MORE INFORMATION AT THE LIBARY DESK"

Elise ran to the librarian's desk as quick as she could. Out of breath, she waited until the librarian greeted her. The name-tag on the cluttered desk read:

"Ms. Wilbur - Temporary Librarian"

Ms. Wilbur greeted Elise with a "how can I help you?" but she did not seem like she wanted to help.

"I need to check out a book" Elise said smiling, hoping she can appear kind and charismatic so Ms. Wilbur will allow her to check out a 16+ book.

Ms. Wilbur extended her arm for the book and Elise placed the flimsy cover in hands. Barely taking any notice of the material, Ms. Wilbur said "This is a 16+ book. Are you 16+?"

Elise lied, but her small frame and young features gave her away.

"You know the rules. I can't give out a 16+ book to a child. Sorry."

Before Elise could respond or state a reason she truly needed the book, Ms. Wilbur placed the cover back into her hands. Elise groaned in frustration and traced her finger over the edge of the cover, her forefinger landed on a description of the book.

"Richard Senowitz explores the fascinating but cruel world of unstable drugs used throughout global history. Senowitz's extensive research shows why these drugs were developed and utilised, and why now they are considered 'unstable'. Senowitz has first hand experience working with producers to create and ultimately destroy one of the worst. 'Forgive Me: The History of Unstable Drugs' aims to create an honest discussion around the use of drugs in society, whether that being tranquillisers to tame individuals, or pills to, quote "provide a greater good to society". Read more of Richard Senowitz's work including; "Prevention: Understanding Antibiotics" and "Madmen: the World of Antipsychotics".

Before Elise could take in this confusing information, a loud slam was heard from the far end of the library. It was Nurse Deborah.

"Elise, I have been looking for you. It's Anna. She wants you to come to the hospital".

Nurse Deborah grabbed her arm and the green cover dropped, leaving it behind her as she was led to the exit of library and heading the way to the hospital.

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎   ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆