Chapter 75

Jayden could hear the sound of his parents arguing downstairs.

They had been arguing quite a lot lately ever since he came out to them a few months ago and he had learned to tune them out. This time, however, the angry voices were too loud in volume for him to ignore.

A few minutes later, he could hear the sound of footsteps making their way toward his room. The door opened and his father's face came through.

'Get ready, we are going out,' his father stated shortly.

'Where are we going?'

Jayden could tell his father was unhappy with the question. Ever since he found out that Jayden was gay, he had hated being in the same room with him, much less speaking with him.

He saw the tic begin to form in his father's jaw and he reconciled himself to the fact that he wasn't going to get an answer, but to his surprise, his father replied.

'We are going to church.'

'Why?' Jayden shot back before he could think better of it. The tic in his father's jaw began to work more furiously and he knew that his father was fed up with his questions.

'Just get ready,' his father ordered before turning to leave.

'No.'

His father paused and turned around as if he couldn't believe his ears. Jayden was just as surprised as him and was surprised even further by the sudden burst of defiance he found.

'I'm not going,' he stated firmly.

His father's expression was unreadable. 'What did you say?'

A bolt of fear tore through Jayden, but he staunchly held his ground. 'I'm not going, and you can't make me.'

That was the wrong thing to say, for the instant his father heard those words, his unreadable expression blazed with cold fury.

'Can't I?' he uttered before reaching over to grab Jayden by his hair.

'What are you doing? Let me go!' Jayden shouted out as his father proceeded to drag him by the roots of his hair out of his room. He felt his eyes begin to sting as his scalp burned with the force of the pull.

His father ignored his flailing hands and tightened his fingers even further as they moved through the expansive corridors of the manor.

Jayden's body began to shiver with coldness as his skin was dragged mercilessly over the cold tiles. He was still in his underwear because his father hadn't even let him change, and as he felt the servants' surprised eyes on his half-naked form, he felt his skin begin to prickle with shame.

'Dad, please,' he begged. 'You're hurting me.'

'Good,' his father stated. 'That would teach you to never talk back to me.'

The tears were falling freely down Jayden's face now and he could no longer tell if they were because of the pain, the embarrassment, or the shock.

He soon heard his mother's surprised voice as they entered the entrance hall.

'Jayden? Roger! What are you doing? Roger!'

His father ignored the outraged cries of his wife and turned to the shocked servant by the door.

'Tell the chauffeur to bring the car around.'

The servant looked scared out of his wits as he nodded dumbly and ran off. Jayden's father dragged him out of the manor, and he soon felt the warm heat of the sun hitting his skin.