Chapter VI: The Same Sky

In that short period of time Junkyu cannot deny the fact that he fell hard for that Japanese cutie. It was too sudden that after that fateful bus ride encounter, their meeting at Nabana No Sato, and their dates (like how he called it), even without a label, were his the moments he would always cherish. Because those were the times he felt so loved as he found his beloved. He even forgot to look for the mysterious subject he used to paint and sketch, instead, it was all replaced by Mashiho’s adorable face and bright smiles. That was the start of him realizing that his subject was Mashiho all along.

However, on that day, Junkyu was so excited to ask Mashiho to be his boyfriend officially. However, news came. He was called by his father to go home and meet the person who will sponsor his Master’s studies in France. His mind that time was battling whether to go home and take it or to spend more days in Mie. But in the end, he chose to take it and pursue his dream, settling aside the nelly-harbored love he felt for a cute Japanese guy. He convinced himself that Mashiho will understand him, thus left his ring and the letter to Jae instructing his cousin to send them to Mashiho.

When he came back to Seoul, he felt so incomplete like a big part of him was left in Mie - his heart that he left with Mashiho. But he had nothing to do now. He thought that the Japanese cutie despised him for leaving him behind without proper farewell. He never dared to call the younger nor send him a message. He was afraid to see Mashiho’s eyes filled with hatred and grudge over him. He’s such a coward, yeah. It was just that he was too soft for Mashiho.

In a month, he prepared everything he needed for his flight to France next month. Until he remembered to do something very important.

“I think it's time,” Junkyu said with a slight smile.

He sent a DM to someone.

Direct Message:

Junkyu: こんにちは (Hi.)

It took him a month to muster all his courage to send him a message. It took him a month to make up his mind and tell Mashiho everything. It took him a month to get rid of cowardice and face the reality of longing and romance. But it only took a second for his heart to beat again with that simple reply.

Mashiho: あなたが恋しい. (I miss you)

Just then, their world stops like it permits them to continue the paused film of their love story in Mie. It feels like they are allowed to pour out all the love they have saved up for a month of longing for each other. With that simple reply, Junkyu is assured that he had someone waiting for his return. And with that simple hi, Mashiho believes that he had someone yearning for him to be with. With that simple direct message for each other, they know that distance makes their love grow fonder.
From that moment, Mashiho and Junkyu were able to put things back to normal, like they were never separated from each other, like no one left and no one was left behind. Junkyu explained everything from the news he received to the opportunity to study abroad and pursue his career to the times that both of them were missing each other.

Mashiho also told Junkyu everything that happened to him within that month after the elder left. How he made ways to look for Junkyu in his vacation house and to the places they visited; how he bothered Jae to tell him his cousin’s whereabouts until the morning he woke up crying from dreaming Junkyu. But he never shared about the guy in his dreams. He did not bother to tell him at all. What’s the point tho? That guy has nothing to do with him anymore and he believes that it is only Junkyu that he is seeing in his dream. For him, his dreams are like previews of the future, the aspirations of him with his beloved in the future.