Chapter IV : The Spent Time

Nabana no Sato Flower Park, Mie

Another day to enjoy spring vacation, Mashiho woke up early and excitedly prepared for his brother, Hyunsuk, and his plan of bonding. They are going to the famous Nabana no Sato Flower Park. By 10 in the morning, they arrived at the flower park and happily walks along the path showered with cherry blossoms.

Nabana no Sato is Japan's largest flower theme park and a popular sightseeing destination for international visitors. Beautiful flowers can be seen in every season, but the most picturesque beauty of all can be found in the resplendent begonia garden in the large greenhouse. The indoor garden has a plethora of colorful flowers plus a cozy cafe inside, where they enjoy the break amid the vivid surroundings. After sunset, the "illumination" display highlights the flowers' beauty in a way not observable during the day: another spectacular sight. During spring, Japanese plums and cherry blossoms bloom, and there are blossoms of tulips and nemophila in the flower area.

“You are enjoying this so much, aren’t you?” Hyunsuk asks his younger brother, Mashiho. They sat at the bench as they enjoy their favorite flavors of ice cream.

“Hmm. I miss roaming around here so much, niichan,” Mashiho answers while slurping his Coffee Fudge Swirl ice cream. “Don’t you miss it?”

“I miss it, too, you know. It’s just that I have to…” Hyunsuk cannot complete his statement. Mashiho looked intently at his brother and saw the tears forming in his eyes. He puts down the cup of his ice cream and gives Hyunsuk a tight hug and back pats.

“Don’t feel bad, niichan. I will be fine, as long as you are,” he assures his brother not to worry. Hyunsuk has to go back to Kobe later for work and he does not know when he will be back.

“But I have to leave you again,” tears keep falling from his brother’s eyes, getting his shoulders drenched. But he does not care at all. He wants to comfort him.

“I will be fine here. I will take good care of Mom and dad while you are away,” his brother does not utter a word. He can just hear his whimpers and sobs. After some time, Hyunsuk stopped crying, looks at Mashiho wiping his tears.

“Promise me to be safe, no matter what.”

“Yes, ani.”

Mashiho stands and holds Hyunsuk's hand tight. He wants to spend the day with his brother happily as they continue to roam around the park as they reach the Begonia Garden.

Right there, at the heart of the Begonia Garden, his niichan left him, with the promise that he will be back soon. Mashiho, being very understanding and gullible, chose to smile and waves his hand happily at his brother, walking towards the exit. He knows that his brother will be fine there. Besides, his friend, Yoshinori is a native in Kobe, whom he asked to look after his brother while he is working there. By that, he is assured.

There are few people in the garden, mostly couples having dates, he guesses. How he wishes he’s on a date, too. He smiles at the thought. That’s when he recalls if he had dreamt of his “dream” guy last night. Strangely, he did not. And that's the first time he hasn't dreamt about him. Maybe he was so tired yesterday that he had a dreamless sleep? It can be.

As they walked around the garden, he saw a familiar built from afar. His back seems so familiar that Mashiho tries so hard to recall who might that be. The guy he met from the bus? No. Probably not. It's impossible for him to meet the elder on this day. It has been almost two weeks since their encounter and Junkyu might be off to Tokyo already. Mashiho battles with his mind, that it might not be Junkyu but a part of him is wishing yo him again.
Suddenly the guy turned around and caught his eyes.