Epilogue

Epilogue

Warwick - 1 day

All shall be well became the queen's new phrase, something she repeated anytime one of us would bring up the events of the day before, of what it meant for the future.

All shall be well.

She said it with such conviction that we had no choice but to put our faith to rest in her words.

That night, after the doctor had cared for the king, then both Marielle and Gwen, we had a bath brought in for the two of them to slip into, to ease their aches.

They both curled up in the bed together afterward.

Cy and I both wanted to be with her as well, to hold her, to assure her that nothing else bad would ever befall her again.

But the kingdom was in an uproar over the treason. We did not yet know if there were others who meant the king and queen harm.

So we did what we had to.

We stood guard all night in the hallway, making sure no one came near as the queen slept with her lover, releasing their trauma from the events just hours before, comforting each other.

"If we had been five minutes later..." Cyprian said after what felt like hours of silence.

"We were not," I reminded him. "We stopped him. He did no lasting damage."

"He bruised her."

"He will pay."

In fact, I requested to be allowed to be a part of his questioning the following day after things calmed down in the town, in the castle.

"I am going to go ask the staff to prepare a special breakfast," Gwen said, interrupting us as she moved into the hall, already dressed.

Her bruises had settled in over night, deep and blue. But she bore them with a raised chin, knowing she had done everything she could to protect the woman she loved.

"I will make sure there is enough for everyone," she added. "It will take some time," she finished.

We did not need more encouragement than that.

We both turned and rushed into the queen's room, finding her just starting to sit up in bed.

"Stay down," I barked, wincing at my tone even as she shot me a bemused smile.

"You need your rest," Cyprian insisted as he kicked out of his boots and moved up on the bed at her side.

I followed, and the both of us closed in on her, wrapping her up.

"How are you?" Cy asked, running a hand gently over her cheek.

"I am well."

"Liar," I said, watching as she turned warm eyes in my direction.

"No. I am. I feel as though I should not be, but I am. Florian will no longer be a threat. I may have an heir growing inside of me. I have the men and woman I love most with me. All is well."

"You also gained the love and respect of the kingdom last night," I told her. We had been busy, guarding the king and queen all night, but we could hear the voices of the servants as they gushed about how kind and beautiful she had been at the gala, then how strong and brave she had been whilst being attacked by traitors."