Car Accident Part 4//Loosely based on If I Stay

Cole

After Gabe turned off Ustream, the six of us sat there and cried. I couldn't believe this was the end. I was never going to see them again, but it wasn't going to be as hard on me as it was on them. They have to keep living, and remembering all the good times we had together. As we sat there, all huddled around, I began thinking. I was never going to find my soul mate. I was never going to have kids, a family, nothing. I wasn't going to get my top two on my bucket list I've has since I was 16.

Not wanting to waste any time, we decided each one of us would get ten minutes with me, to say their goodbyes. It was going to be the hardest fifty minutes of my life. First was David.

When the other four left, David sat down on the plastic chair by my bed. "I love you, buddy, you know that, right?" he started out.

I nodded my head, not able to get the words out. "Look, I know we weren't the closest in the band, but don't think for a second I still didn't consider you one of my brothers," David cried. "The seven months I was with you guys, were the best ones of my life... I can't believe this." He buried his face in his hands. God, how was I going to get through four more of these?

When the ten minutes were up Gabe knocked on the door. David got up and kissed the top of my head, the way a loving brother does. The way a loving brother who knows he's never going to see you again does... As David was walking out, he never took his eyes off me.

Gabe took David's place in the chair by my bed. He ran his hands through his dark hair. The blonde had finally faded out. It was now that I started noticing the little things about Gabe. The way he would always pick up the things on my floor because he jokingly said one time, "Well, I'm just ensuring your safety." But he wasn't joking. He was an older brother to me. He cared for me.

"I-I don't even know what to say," Gabe confessed. "I've never prepared one of these things before. I've never had to say goodbye to someone I care so much for." He whispered the last few words. As Gabe was looking down at his hands, he removed a ring that he had always worn, since like 2013. He grabbed my right hand and slid the ring onto my finger.

"I want you to be buried with this on," He whimpered. "So you can remember me, even when you're gone."

"I'm never going to forget you, Gabe," I whispered. "I'm so happy I got to know you. You know I love you right? All of you." When Gabe finished sliding the ring onto my finger, he just held my hand. And cried. We both cried. I can't imagine what they're going through. I'm a hysterical mess and I'm not even the one technically loosing anyone.

We sat in silence for a while, everything already being said. When Gabe checked his watch, ten minutes had been up. "Goodbye, Cole," He whispered. As he walked out, all I could do was hold out my hand, wanting him to come back, not wanting to say goodbye forever.

Next in was Will. I already knew he was going to be a wreck. When he walked in, he just had his arms extended, motioning for a hug. I half laughed, half cried at the gesture. When he reached my bed, he fell onto it as easy he could and embraced me. "Cole, please don't leave," He bawled into shoulder. "We need you. The fans need you... I need you, Cole." I didn't know I could cry even more after that Ustream session, but leave it to Will Jay Behlendorf to make me.

"I'm trying," I whispered. And it was true. I could slowly but surely feel myself getting weaker. I was holding on as long as I could though. "God, Will, I'm trying so freaking hard."

When he broke the hug, he sat on the side of my bed. "Wouldn't it be a miracle, though? Somehow the doctors save you, and no one would have to say goodbye?" Will sobbed. "You know how you made all the fans feel, right? You made them feel special. They loved you... This is so unfair."