25 - Fourth Of July

"Brenda!" Minho screamed when we managed to arrive at their Berg. Brenda immediately was all ears. "Where's the serum?"

Jorge and Brenda rushed over to us. He put a tube in my hands, filled with the same blue liquid. "I believe in you." Jorge put his hands on my shoulders. "Brenda's got a serum too. Double chance. Now go save him, mi hija."

I nodded and rushed away fast. So fast that if I would trip, I would break something, but that didn't bother me in the slightest. Even if I would break something, I would never stop running.

Newt's life depended on it, and that was the most important. He had to survive.

I pushed my legs the fastest they could, leaving Minho, Gally, and even Brenda, who also ran at full speed, behind.

I bent down to avoid getting shot or hit by something and noticed a big fight happening in front of me, but I ran straight through, not caring.

Newt was the kindest person I had ever met. So selfless.. would do anything to save his friends, and help them whenever he could. Always.

Good with kids, or well, Chuck. They cheered each other up, because I knew, even though I never mentioned it... I knew Newt had a hard time all of the time. Some days were better than others, but I knew he never completely healed from his jump, and I wasn't talking about the physical stuff.

My legs ached, but it didn't stop me. I couldn't breathe, it didn't stop me. Nothing would stop me and suddenly I felt so bad for ever agreeing on breaking up with Newt.

I loved Minho too, so wouldn't have minded if he was the one I had a relationship with, but felt guilty for agreeing so easily and not even grieving about our break up a lot.

I got closer to the tunnels where we told Thomas and Newt to meet us. It got less crowded too, like some sort of train station.

Tears burned in my eyes as I ran, sweaty and shaking from the fright of what I would end up finding at the station...

And then I abruptly stopped in my tracks.

Thomas stood there, looking down at a lifeless body that had a knife stabbed into the chest. Newt.

My heart broke into a million pieces and immediately I knew that would never heal again.

The tears automatically streamed down my face. Newt. One of the people that meant the world to me. Maybe the most important person in my life, because he was not just a lover, but a best friend. Both of it.

And now he was dead.

He had helped me through everything, comforted me when I needed it, let me cry into his shoulders, took care of me when I couldn't.. and, well, saved me.

Broken, vision blurred with tears, I broke down on my knees next to Newt, not even seeing Thomas walking away with a gun in his hands.

"Newt.." I cried out, cupping his beautiful face. "Newt, wake up."

He didn't respond. He didn't breathe. But he couldn't be dead! I refused to believe it.

"Newt, look at.." My voice broke in pure pain. "Look at me."

But he didn't. I sniffed and cried, sobbed, and even screamed in agony. I couldn't lose him. Not him.

"I love you," I whispered, crying into Newt's chest, not bothering how loud I was being. "Just wake up."

I wished to be back in the Glade again. The night Newt fell on top of me and I remembered my name. He was the first one to know. He always was.

I heard some footsteps behind me and recognized Brenda's shoes. "Brenda, give him the serum." I sobbed.

"Jane, he-."

"Give him the goddamn serum!" I screamed breaking breaking down again. My love.. dead.

Brenda obeyed and inserted the liquid into Newt's neck, waiting impatiently.