Chapter Twenty-Six: The Inquisitorial Squad

(Before I begin I thought I should say the last time I read all 7 books all the way through was 2017, so when I started this series in 2019 it was all still fresh in my mind, and for each chapter I read one or two chapters of the canon version to make sure I'm not missing anything. However the further this went along the longer it has been since I have fully read books 5, 6, and 7, as in it has been nearly 6 years, but in those six years I have watched all 8 films numerous times, so starting with book 4 I started thinking thing that only happened in the movies also happened in the books. Because of all this I thought the Inquisitorial Squad was introduced in November at the earliest, Valentines day at the latest, and had many ideas planed out for conflict between D.A. Slytherins and I.S. Slytherins, but after writing chapter after chapter of them not appearing I finally looked it up and learned they aren't introduced until AFTER Dumbledore is gone and the D.A. has been caught, I had to change that. So I know I try to be as book compliant as possible, but when it comes to the I.S. I hope you excuse the more film leaning content.

Now please enjoy this chapter.)

Harry's question was answered the very next morning. When Colin's Daily Prophet arrived, he and Theodore only gazed at the front cover for a moment before Theodore gave a yelp that caused everyone in the vicinity to stare at him.

'What?' said Harry, Allison, Tracey, and Terence simultaneously.

For an answer Colin and Theodore spread the newspaper on the table in front of them and pointed at ten black-and-white photographs that filled the whole of the front page, nine showing wizards' faces and the tenth, a witch's. Some of the people in the photographs were silently jeering; others were tapping their fingers on the frame of their pictures, looking insolent. Each picture was captioned with a name and the crime for which the person had been sent to Azkaban.

"Antonin Dolohov," read the legend beneath a wizard with a long, pale, twisted face who was sneering up at Harry, "convicted of the brutal murders of Gideon and Fabian Prewett," which Harry knew were Mrs Weasley's brothers.

"Augustus Rookwood," said the caption beneath a pockmarked man with greasy hair who was leaning against the edge of his picture, looking bored, "convicted of leaking Ministry of Magic Secrets to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."

But Harry's eyes were drawn to the picture of the witch. Her face had leapt out at him the moment he had seen the page. She had long, dark hair that looked unkempt and straggly in the picture, though he had seen it sleek, thick, and shining. She glared up at him through heavily lidded eyes, an arrogant, disdainful smile playing around her thin mouth. Like Sirius and Andromeda, she retained vestiges of great good looks, but something—perhaps Azkaban—had taken most of her beauty. "Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom."

Theodore nudged Harry and pointed at the headline over the pictures, which Harry, concentrating on Bellatrix, had not yet read.

"MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN MINISTRY FEARS NOTT IS 'RALLYING POINT' FOR OLD DEATH EATERS"

'They think its your father?' said Harry loudly. 'Not—?'

'Quite!' whispered Theodore desperately. 'Don't draw attention to us—just read it!'

"The Ministry of Magic announced late last night that there has been a mass breakout from Azkaban.

Speaking to reporters in his private office, Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, confirmed that ten high-security prisoners escaped in the early hours of yesterday evening, and that he has already informed the Muggle Prime Minister of the dangerous nature of these individuals.

'We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Peter Pettigrew escaped,'" said Fudge last night. 'However with Pettigrew's death in the spring of 1994, we have another prime suspect. An escape of this magnitude suggests outside help, and we must remember that Morgan Nott, a Death Eater whose been avoiding authorities for nearly three years, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Nott's old classmate, Antonin Dolohov, have rallied around Nott as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached.'"