Chapter Nineteen: Dumbledore's Army

'Its Umbridge who has been spying on you, Harry. I just know it,' said Theodore in a rage.

'She's a pain in all of our sides, but how can you be sure?' Harry asked.

'I don't believe in repeated coincidences, the day after we formed the group all teams are banned, Hedwig is attacked, and Pansy stayed up past midnight as if she were told to. There is no way all together they aren't related.'

Harry thought about this as he pretended to be reading through the Dream Oracle, as long as he appeared to be working, Divination was a good class to chat without getting in trouble, and if they kept their voices down it was also a good class to not be overheard. Their private conversation was aided by the heavy downpour of rain clattering and pounding against the classroom windows.

'And all that was just yesterday,' said Theodore. 'I don't think that was the first time Umbridge tried to cause you problems, I think it was her who told Filch you were buying Dungbombs. She wanted an excuse to confiscate your mail to read it.'

'Yeah, you're probably right,' said Harry quietly in a cold fury. 'How are we supposed to communicate with our parents if we can only use code with owls, floo is to risky, and and anyone can walk in on us using the mirror?'

'Well I plan to teach the girls that sleeping spell I know so that at the very least Pansy will sleep soundly through the night and not wake up to spy on us. As for the mirror, Tracey spent the morning looking into the Cave Inimicum Charm Sirius mentioned, if she can learn to cast it she thinks we'll be safe the next time we use the mirror.'

They were unable to continue their conversation as they were interrupted by Professor Trelawney slamming a copy of the Oracle down on a table before sulking away.

'Well, carry on!' said Professor Trelawney loudly, her voice high pitched and somewhat hysterical. 'You know what to do! Or am I such a substandard teacher that you have never learned how to open a book?'

The class stared perplexedly at her and then at each other. Harry, however, thought he knew what was the matter. As Professor Trelawney flounced back to the high-backed teacher's chair, her magnified eyes full of angry tears, he leaned his head closer to Theodore's and muttered, 'I think she's got the results of her inspection back.'

'Professor Trelawney?' said Sue Li in a hushed voice (she and Terry Boot had always rather admired Professor Trelawney). 'Is everything alright, Professor?'

'Alright!' cried Professor Trelawney in a voice throbbing with emotion. 'Certainly! I have been insulted, certainly...Insinuations have been made against me...Unfounded accusations levelled...but yes, everything is alright...'

She took a great shuddering breath and looked away from Sue, angry tears spilling from under her glasses.

'I say nothing,' she choked, 'of sixteen years' devoted service...It has passed, apparently, unnoticed...But I shall not be insulted, no, I shall not!'

'Professor, who insulted you this greatly?' asked Terry Boot timidly.

'The establishment!' said Professor Trelawney in a deep, dramatic, wavering voice. 'Yes, those with eyes too clouded by the Mundane to See as I See, to Know as I Know...Of course, we Seers have always been feared, always persecuted...It is—alas—our fate...'

She gulped, dabbed at her wet cheeks with the end of her shawl, and then pulled a small, embroidered handkerchief from her sleeve, into which she blew her nose very hard with a sound like Peeves blowing a raspberry.

'Professor Trelawney,' said Sue, 'was the person who insulted you...was it Professor Umbridge..?'

'Do not speak to me about that woman!' cried Professor Trelawney, leaping to her feet, her beads rattling and her spectacles flashing. 'Kindly continue with your work!'