Chapter Fourteen: Detention With Dolores

Dinner in the Great Hall that night was not a pleasant experience for Harry. The news about his shouting match with Umbridge seemed to have traveled exceptionally fast even by Hogwarts standards. He heard whispers all around him as he sat eating between Tracey and Allison. The funny thing was that none of the whisperers seemed to mind him overhearing what they were saying about him—on the contrary, it was as though they were hoping he would get angry and start shouting again, so that they could hear his story firsthand.

'He says he saw Cedric Diggory murdered...'

'He reckons he dueled with You-Know-Who...'

'Come off it...'

'Who does he think he's kidding?'

'Pur-lease...'

'What I don't get,' said Harry in a shaking voice, laying down his

knife and fork (his hands were trembling too much to hold them steady), 'is why they all believed the story two months ago when Dumbledore told them...'

'To be honest, I don't know how many people really did,' said Theodore, who then gave Colin a kiss on the cheek and stood up. 'I'll see you later, come on guys, this environment is to toxic for Harry.'

Tracey also gave Terence a quick kiss and then she, Allison, and Harry rose to follow Theodore. People stared at them all the way out of the Hall.

'What d'you mean, you don't know if they believed Dumbledore?' Harry asked Theodore when they reached the stairs leading to the Slytherin Common Room.

Instead of Theodore, Tracey answered his question, 'Harry, try and see it from everyone else's point of view, all that everyone in the stands saw was you return clutching Cedric's body, no one saw what happened or who killed him. Then Dumbledore says You-Know-Who is back, but nothing in the Daily Prophet confirmed that, so how could the Dark Lord be back if nothing bad is happening or the Ministry is not saying anything.'

'But it's true that he's back,' said Harry loudly.

'We know, Harry. We believe you and Dumbledore,' said Allison. 'What Tracey says is true though, anyone who felt unsure if You-Know-Who was back went home soon after to be surrounded by Prophet stories saying you and Dumbledore are insane, so it confirms their suspicions that everything is ok.'

'People would rather ignore the truth if the lie makes them feel more safe,' concluded Tracey.

The Slytherin Dungeon was freezing, so the group huddled near the large hearth. Harry felt as though his first day of classes had lasted a week, but he still had a mountain of homework to do before bed. A dull pounding pain was developing over his right eye. The common room was thankfully almost empty; nearly everyone was still up at dinner, so as they started their homework there was little distractions. Despite this Harry gazed into the flames, feeling drained and exhausted.

Out of no where, Theodore suddenly slammed his book shut, 'Why would Dumbledore hire such an incompetent and clearly scheming teacher. How can we prepare for O.W.L.s when we can't even practice the spells. Is there really no one else available for the job.'

'Well, we've often had not the greatest Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers, have we?' said Harry. 'You know what it's like, Hagrid told us, nobody wants the job, they say it's jinxed.'

'Yes, but even Lockhart at least had us practicing magic,' said Allison.

'Well Lockhart doesn't even know his middle name now,' said Harry, though he regretted it pretty quickly as Tracey instantly looked full of shame. Harry quickly got off the Lockhart topic. 'It's not just her teaching though, you heard how she wanted students to come to her if they heard anyone saying Voldemort is back. She's going to punish anyone who says the truth, and award snitches.'