Chapter Twelve: Eyes Never Lie

Happy Birthday to me.  

Except today sucked. More so than any other day at any given time. More than being sent to boarding school, more than being nearly killed by the Queen B's and maybe more than what Keegan did to me.  

And my friends were making things worse by trying to make me feel better. Like hey, just let me sulk. I want to be alone, let me be alone.  

But no. They're blowing up my phone and my messenger.  

Does it stop there?  

No.  

Of course not.  

To make matters worse, Keegan and my mother won't leave me alone.  

The cherry on top was -drum roll please- I'm not talking to Jason.  I guess it was a long time coming though.

When I confronted him about the Phoenix necklace, he did what he did best. Shut down and shut me out. This time I couldn't do it. I didn't ask him much, I tried to stay out his family life, and I trusted him enough not to ask but when I asked him a direct question that involved me, he shut me out.  

So I shut him out.  

And as I tried to shut the world out and get more sleep, the world refused to be ignored.  

"Mina, Sky, will you please get the hell away from my door! I told you I want to be left alone!" I yelled from under my blankets. All I wanted to do was drown myself and my sorrows in my pillows, but the knocking continued. "Go away!" 

When the knocking turned to scratching, I got out of bed and opened my door so hard, it seemed like I pulled up the hinges. This was definitely no way to treat a birthday girl and I was going to murder whoever was on the other side of my door.

"Can I come in?" Jason asked, holding a small black, gray and white husky puppy with bright ice blue eyes and a red bow on its head.  I couldn’t say no to him.

"Sure, Jason." I sighed in defeat.  I didn’t feel like there was much to talk about. I asked him a question; he didn’t give me an answer, which qualified as a sensible reason not to talk to someone. Especially when that someone was your boyfriend.

He gave me a half smile. "Thanks." 

"Don't thank me; the puppy did your bidding."  I shrugged. It was true, who could turn down a cute little puppy with big blue eyes? Exactly. No one.

"Good. He's your present." He informed me. That was one way to grovel I suppose. For a while, I didn’t know we could have pets until I met Snowball. This was mostly due to the fact we were at a boarding school. But I guess it was a personal choice or maybe there was a process, I don’t know.

I raised an eyebrow. "You got me a puppy for my birthday?" 

"Yes, you said you've wanted a puppy ever since you were a little girl. Consider him a sorry I'm a jerk, happy birthday, pre anniversary gift." He suggested. The puppy dog eyes, from the dog and Jason, made it hard to be mad. But I was going to make a valiant effort. The puppy could stay, but Jason was going to have to earn his way back into my good graces. 

"What's his name?" I wondered as the puppy eagerly pushed his way out of Jason's arms and to me. I thought it was interesting that he had a midnight colored —wait for it— phoenix pendant on his collar. Phoenixes were bitches of birds. All they ever did was cause problems for people.  

"He doesn't have one, you can give him one. He's trained and everything to get him through the month is in the back of your closet. I'll be paying for his expenses you just enjoy him." He explained handing him over to me. I set him on my bed and looked the puppy in his eyes. He was going to be such a heartbreaker in the puppy playground.