Chapter 5

I opened the door again. He was tossing a single plum into the air over and over, seemingly playing a game of his own invention with his eyes. A smile tugged at my lips.
"Achilles," I whispered.
"Oh, you again." He said looking at me. His eyes glossed over with a sheen, a sort of luster that was not there before. "Have we met?"
"Y-yes we have," I stuttered, tears threatening to fall.
"Oh I am, uh, I am sorry about that. I drank from Lethe. I cannot recall why, but I imagine I had my reasons."
"That you did."
A silence fell over us. He sat back down on the cushion besides the window and picked up the lyre, awkwardly fiddling with the strings.
"My mother had a lyre just like that," I began. "You played it all the time and it sounded gorgeous."
"I see."
"Your fingers glided over the strings so masterfully, I was constantly in awe and I could never do anything like that, so I would just watch you and I feel like that is just how I spent most of my life, you know? Just constantly in awe of....of you." I said, forgetting to take a breath between my speech. A soft smile emerged on his face.
"You must have really loved me," he said.
"Love does not begin to describe it."
He pat the spot beside him.
"I would love to learn more," he said before grabbing the plum from the table and taking a bite.
"And I would love to tell you," I said with a smile.