Thirty-Six

Summer had been lonely so far. Except the times Devi, Eleanor, Fab, and I would find times to hang out. We were busy a lot of the time.

Eleanor was busy with acting, and the rest of us were preparing for the biggest step ahead in our life; college.

Devi and I had already agreed to room together in Princeton. It wasn't even a question. I felt a lot better knowing that I would be with her.

Unfortunately for Devi, Ben had left for New York. And she missed him. She missed him a lot.

And I missed Ethan. I know that we broke up. And normally broke up couples are just done with each other. But I hoped something different would happen over the summer.

It's been nearly a month since we've graduated, and nothing had happened. Ethan didn't show up at my house, he didn't text, and he didn't call. I never even saw him in public.

I was stupid enough to leave him a few messages and even stop by the skate shop in hopes to see him. But he ignored those messages, and it almost seemed as if he was avoiding me.

I suddenly wished we were back our classes together, just so he would be forced to sit next to me.

Today, I had gotten an party invite from someone who was in my senior class. He invited the whole class, saying that he wanted to have a party to kind of reunite everybody.

I texted my friends, who all informed me that they would be attending. I hoped Ethan wouldn't be there. It would be too heartbreaking to see him, but not be able to be with him.

I was on call with Devi, picking out my outfit.

"What do you think about this?" I asked, holding up a casual red dress.

After prom, we had all collectively decided that red was my color. My three best friends encouraged me to wear it more.

"Perfect. I told you red was your color!" Devi exclaimed.

We got off call, both driving to the party at the same exact time.

When I got there, I didn't spot my friends at all. All I heard was loud music and sounds of people screaming and laughing.

Someone who I was unfamiliar with from my class came over to me, holding a glass of alcohol. "Want some?" he offered.

"No thanks..."

I set off to go find people I actually knew and liked. I wondered why my friends weren't here yet.

I quickly spotted Aneesa, who I went over to.

"Hi, Aneesa!"

"y/n! It's been a while. Are you excited for Princeton?"

"I am so excited! A little scared though," I laughed.

We talked for a while, until I spotted something to my horror.

It was Ethan. But he wasn't alone.

He was dancing with another girl.