Twenty-Eight

"Wha- but you said..."

"I lied to my mom. And then my mom went and told everybody. And I just went along with it, because I'm devastated."

I felt so bad for Devi. I thought she had gotten more than her dream, but she got less than it. She didn't get into Princeton; she didn't get into anywhere.

"I'm so sorry, Devi. You should of gotten in. They're dumb for that. You're so smart."

Devi was still on the verge of tears.

"Screw Princeton," I added.

Devi started slowly nodding her head, gaining a small confident smile on her face. "Yeah! Screw Princeton."

"Let's get back to the party."

Devi nodded after I helped her clean up, and wipe the smudged mascara from under her eyes away. We both looked stunning.

Almost as soon as we walked into the party, we were stopped by Ben. He was staring at Devi as I stood beside her kind of awkwardly.

"Devi. Uh. Do you want to dance?"

Devi looked over at me for approval, which I quickly gave. "Yeah."

The two went off together. I was so happy that Devi would finally be happy with Ben. Everything was beginning to make sense.

I thought that the night couldn't get more perfect, but it did. Ethan walked over to me, and I was smiling so big.

The music was loud, and there were so many student bodies dancing to the beat. But all of it faded away, and it was just Ethan that I saw.

How could I ever hate him? I used to, but I wasn't really sure how. Maybe it was his arrogance; which he still had. But none of that bothered me anymore. I even appreciated it.

Ethan's hands were wrapped around my waist, and he pulled me close. We both were breathing heavily, and he pulled me in.

"You're breathtaking," I whispered.

Ethan smirked a little bit. "I know. So are you."

We danced closed together for what felt like forever. Every touch of Ethan's made me feel so special.

I even spotted Ben and Devi dancing out of the corner of my eye. After everything their relationship has been through, they managed to work everything out.

What would happen to mine and Ethan's once college started? I wasn't even sure what college he was going to. But I knew it wasn't Princeton, or any Ivy League for that matter.

"I want you," Ethan mumbled, pushing hair behind my ears.

"You have me."

Our lips touched again, and the night ended. Prom was perfect. If Ethan hadn't found our crashed limo, none of this would have happened.

Ethan and I said our goodbyes momentarily so I could find my friends and figure out what our ride home was going to be. I offered to text my parents and get them to drive everyone home. I didn't want to make Ethan drive us again.

"How was Ben?" I asked Devi with a knowing smirk.

"Oh shut it, y/n. But he was good. He's actually tolerable now."

We all laughed, knowing Devi and Ben's past enemy-like relationship. They were such academic rivals at one point.

"So cute. Trent and I had a blast!" Eleanor exclaimed.

Fab talked about her significant other, Addison, and then I talked about Ethan and I's night.

"He actually seems pretty cool. I thought he was a complete jerk at first when you and Devi liked him," Fab admitted.

Devi looked at me awkwardly. "I'm glad you ended up with him and not me. You two are great together."

I smiled, thanking Devi. Our conversation was cut short by an out of breath Ben, who tapped me on the shoulder continuously.

"Ben?" Devi asked, a smile forming on her face.

Ben didn't seem like he was here to say goodbye to Devi. He was clearly here to talk to me, and he looked very panicked.

"Ben, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Your boyfriend and Paxton are kind of like... physically fighting outside of the building! Thought you might want to know!"

"What?" I gasped.