ELEVEN

chp. 11

"That elephant just sprayed me again!"

"Isn't it the third time? It clearly does not like you," Yeji sighed, using her hello kitty handkerchief in hand to dab the girl's forehead.

"I thought we had peacemaking..." Ryujin murmured, eyeing the innocent elephant that was interacting with the other volunteers.

It was volunteer day, and things didn't go as planned.

First of all, Yeji was told that her parents were informed of the trip to the jungle a few days before, but her parents either never bothered to tell her about it, or they didn't see it. So, Yeji had no idea what to prepare except for sunscreen that she borrowed from Ningning, and a handkerchief from her own backpack.

Second, once she and Chaeryeong arrived at the jungle with the other students from different schools, Yeji accidentally made eye contact with Ryujin, who nearly caused a scene while the teacher was talking just to say hi.

Third, the teachers and the student council students demanded everyone to get into groups of four, so it would be easier to keep an eye on all students during this messy event. And guess what? Since Ryujin and Jisu were in the same class and arrived together, they joined Chaeryeong and Yeji.

And that brought them here.

Yeji folded her handkerchief and tucked it back into her small backpack, shielding the sun with her hand as she surveyed the crowd. "Damn those presidents for leaving us here. What's more important than your own friends?" she exclaimed, feeling frustrated that she was left with the irritating monkey.

"Can we go see the monkeys now? I feel like they'd like me better than these..." Ryujin shot a glance at the elephants, "creatures."

"Nope," Yeji shook her head. "We're here to take care of the elephants, especially the ones in rehab. So, behave." She narrowed her eyes at the shorter, earning herself a scoff.

Ryujin averted her gaze. "Tell that to Mr. Almighty over there. Can't even accept a leaf."

As the two walked around, searching for the two presidents, a question popped up in the brunette's mind.

Turning to the purple-haired, Yeji asked, "Why did you even come? You don't like volunteering."

Ryujin flashed a grin. "You remembered."

The brunette instantly denied it, shaking her head with a straight face. "That's only because it was two days ago."

"Uh-huh."

"Answer my question?"

"Well," Ryujin hummed before shrugging in nonchalance. "I wanted to go out, connect with mother nature, and... stuff."

Yeji snickered. "Uh-huh."

"Ice cream!" Ryujin exclaimed loudly, pointing at the small ice cream truck outside of the second entrance of the jungle. Yeji pulled her hand down.

"Quiet, everyone's looking at us," Yeji hissed. Ryujin immediately shut her mouth. "And I don't know if we're allowed to go get ice cream while we're on duty."

"You make it sound like we're police officers," Ryujin whispered with a small giggle. "Target spotted, over," she joked, her hand up near her mouth as she pretended to speak into a walkie talkie.

Yeji rolled her eyes at the shorter's childishness and pushed it aside. "Let's just find the other two first."

"And make them ask the teachers if we could get ice cream?" Ryujin grinned, and before the brunette could reply, she cheered. "Sounds awesome! Let's go~!"