Chapter 16

The two landed, fifteen floors below, on the black cargo net James had spotted when he'd entered. Their combined weight and the momentum of their landing pulled the anchors of the net from the concrete of the walls, the net sent them tumbling, but James quickly stood, and helped Vesper up. He pulled her with him, running as fast as they could to the basement, and to an escape.

The pair escaped onto the Thanes just as the building began crumbling down.

"You remember how to steer?" James shouted over the engine of the speedboat to Vesper. She nodded and took the wheel from him as he went to the front, pulled out his pistol, and shot at Blofeld's helicopter.

His first round of bullets had no effect, but eventually, he hit the mark. The motor of the blades on top erupted into flames, and began to bring the helicopter down. It crashed onto a bridge, and skidded until it tipped over and the motor engulfed the blades in flames, while Blofeld attempted to escape the approaching flames.

Vesper steered the boat some stairs that led up to the bridge, and James jumped off and raced up the stairs.

Blofeld managed to kick open the door of the fiery helicopter, and was pulling himself forward with his arms. He sped up as he saw James racing behind him.

"Sir, this is a terrorist alert." A man in armed uniform told Mallory as he approached the scene.

"Mallory, 00 section." He said. The officer looked back at his companions. "Stand them down." Mallory said.

"Echo team, hold fire." The officer said into his radio, letting Mallory past him.

Vesper raced up the stairs James had gone up, trying to catch up with him.

James walked up to Blofeld, still attempting to pull himself forward by the arms, with his pistol in hand. He stood there, towering over him, then he carefully aimed his pistol at Blofeld's head.

"Finish it." Blofeld taunted. "Finish it." He repeated menacingly.

James released the magazine of bullets from his pistol, and said, "Out of bullets."
He looked to his left and saw Mallory watching him, he looked to his right and saw Vesper watching him as well.
"And besides, I've got something better to do." He said, and began walking towards Vesper. When he was halfway to her, he looked at his pistol for a moment, then threw it off to the side, making Vesper laugh softly. She crossed the last few steps between them, then crashed her lips onto his.
"It seems we're even now Mister Bond." Vesper said, a playful smile on her lips.

"I wasn't aware we were keeping track Miss Lynd." James said, a smirk on his lips.

"That's Missus Bond to you." Vesper said in mock outrage.

"Then, Missus Bond, shall we call it a night?" James asked, offering his arm.

"I believe we shall, Mister Bond." She said, looping her arm through his. The couple walked away together, past the ambulances and police, arm in arm, and not looking back.