13. A Claiming

The next week, Wymond was more careful with me when we practised. One evening, when we parted for the night, I stopped him.

"You're going easy on me." I said, placing my hand on his upper arm.

"You only have one hand and it's not the one you're used to." He said as he picked up my still bandaged hand.

"You said I needed to be able to fight with either of them. You holding back won't help me. Besides -" I curled my previous broken fingers in his palm. "There not broken anymore, just sore." He looked down at our hands, his brows drawn together. "We need to talk about what happened in the carriage."

"The kiss." He said. He looked up, his eyes lingering on my lips. "The hot, kind of want to repeat it, kiss."

"Yes." His eyes flickered to mine; his eyes darkened when I bit my lip. "But you said we couldn't do it. That someone claimed me. What was that about?"

"It was nothing, forget what I said." I wish I could. But then he leaned close and pressed his lips against mine, making me forget for the time being. "Pride won't like this."

"And do you care?" I whispered against his lips. He answered by pressing his lips harsher against mine. My hand curled in his blonde hair while he grabbed my hips and pushed me against the door. His hand trailed over my thigh, going over the sheath I forgot was there before he cupped my ass. Wymond was flush against me, I could feel him harden against my stomach. Then suddenly, he stepped away from me.

"We need to stop."

"Why?" I said a bit breathlessly. "Not because of Pride, is it?" He looked away. I cursed loudly. "What does he have to do with any of this?!"

"He has claimed you, alright!" He shouted, then he looked like he made the biggest mistake in his life.

"WHAT?!" I screamed out. I charged at him, poking his chest hard. "What did you just say?"

"He's made a claim for you." His voice softer, hesitant.

"A claim for what? To kill me? You're not saying he has any other interest in me besides that are you? Because that is just ridiculous." He remained silent. "What about this being my own choice?"

"It still is. You are not forced to marry him."

"Good, because I will never marry that asshole." I ran a hand through my hair and started to pace in front of him. "So, I'm here for no reason then? All of this is just for show."

"No." He grabbed my shoulders to make me stop. I glared at the wall behind him. "If you truly fall for anyone of my brothers, Pride will let you go. We know Sevrin and Gluttony are out of the question. As am I." My gaze shifted to him. A small, crooked smile appeared on his face. "We both know this is just physical. You are amazing and I care for you, Ava. But -"

"You don't have to explain." My raging heart calmed for a bit. "I feel the same. But that still doesn't give him the right to 'claim' me. I have barely spoken to him. I still have to stay at Envy, Lust and Greed before I'll stay with him."

"I think you know that Envy is out of the question."

"I-" He gave me a look that said he knew. "How do you know?"

"I've seen how close you are with Leon. It's not hard to figure out that he told you."

"Right." I gave a single nod. "Back to Pride."

"He hasn't officially claimed you." What? "Remember that rumble at Gluttony's party when you were dancing with Lust?"

"That was Pride?"