Chapter 19: We Meet Again

Kareem reached an arm toward Ayaz, and a strand of light shot out of his hand

Kareem reached an arm toward Ayaz, and a strand of light shot out of his hand. Badriya gasped. The rope-like object pierced into Ayaz's head before he could react. As the djinn closed his palm into a fist, little orbs of light escaped from Ayaz's forehead and through the light, eventually making their way toward Kareem. After a few seconds passed, Kareem released his hand and the rope of light pulled itself from Ayaz.

Ayaz wheezed and collapsed on his knees. Badriya instinctively moved but Kareem blocked her from taking a step further. To her surprise, Ayaz rose, his limbs stiff and almost unhuman-like, and turned away. As if they weren't even there.

"What... just happened?" Badriya asked. "Why is he walking away? Where is he walking away?"

Kareem waved his hand dismissively. "To his rooms. He's in a dazed state, so he won't remember anything before the wish. He'd forget that you just showed him the Jewel and that I granted your wish."

"So it worked?" Badriya asked reluctantly. "He won't remember me? At all?"

"At all," Kareem confirmed. "If he sees you the next day, it'll be his first time meeting you. So don't ruin the wish by acting like you saw him before."

Badriya continued to watch Ayaz's retreating figure. Although he looked like he was walking normally, he noticed how he swayed a little with every few steps before he disappeared into a corner. Like he was drunk.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine," Kareem added. "After he gets to his room, he'll just go to sleep and wake up like normal. He won't bump into walls on the way there."

Badriya scoffed. "I really hope he bashes his head onto a wall."

Kareem turned to face her. "If you don't mind me asking, sayyida, why erase his memory? Were you actually afraid that he'd rat you out?"

Badriya didn't answer but instead looked down at her hands. A few more spots appeared on her skin, adding to her collection of golden marks.

"No, I don't think that's it," Kareem continued. "You know he's of noble character-a rare gem these days, don't you agree?-but you were afraid that something else would happen..." His eyes widened. "He was in love with you. And you were afraid you would feel the same."

"Shut it," Badriya growled. "Or I'll wish your tongue to be cut away."

Kareem raised a palm, a nervous smile on his face. "Now, now. That's not necessary. I still cherish my ability to speak, thank you very much."

"Then drop the subject."

"That I shall do, sayyida." He ran two fingers across his lips. "My silence is yours to keep."

Rolling her eyes, Badriya stomped back into the palace, a laughing djinn not far behind her.

* * *