𝟎𝟒 - 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

THE SOUND OF water trickling nearby calms the two na'vi sitting side by side, their backs against the tall tree that shelters over their home. the only sound that could be heard was insects chirping and animals making noises, while water from the nearby stream gurgles away. amongst the other noises of the night, lo'ak and tsireya are silent as they think over the tragic event of earlier in the day.

usually the two would do more active things together, such as cleaning up after their children, collecting resources or talk about anything and everything. but tonight, the quiet is all they can afford.

the moon glows above the two, casting just enough light for them to appreciate their surroundings. the dots on their skin glow with bioluminescence, matching the energy of the forest as the nocturnal creatures awaken for the evening. the plants and water from the stream glow around them in different neon colors of pink, purple, and blue.

tsireya leans her head against lo'ak's shoulder, her chest rising and falling as she takes in a long breath. she feels a sense of calamity due to her children being sound asleep inside their hut. it had been a new experience for zo'ile and mekanei to go outside for the first time and meet new people. she couldn't help but feel proud of them. for their young age, they had manners and were very obedient.

tsireya had also been so happy to see her brother and rotxo again. they looked so much older and stronger, it made her reminisce the days when they were young and messing around with each other. some small part of her felt complete again by seeing them, as if her heart had gained back a missing piece she never thought she would get back.

however, she was still traumatized by her village being burned down. it was not like when the colonel and his recom squad had attacked the ta'unui village. whoever had done this was cruel and unforgiving. it made tsireya wonder if her clan had done something to make the "ash clan" mad, but it was the first time she had ever heard of these people. she wondered what her parents were thinking and doing at the moment. she wanted so desperately to help her clan, heal the wounded, and comfort those who had lost loved ones.

tsireya's thoughts are interrupted when she feels her mate take hold of her hand, intertwining his fingers with hers. his other hand lays on top of it. she feels him shift around a bit, a signal to her that he is about to speak.

"i've been thinking of something," lo'ak starts. she feels his voice against the side of her head as his throat vibrates.

"mhm?" she mumbles while playing with his fingers. he knows that he has her full attention.

"we should go back to my home, in the forest."

tsireya's ears perk up as she slowly sits up straight, releasing lo'ak's hands. she knows that he only ever used that tone of voice when is was serious. her eyes search his face in confusion, not being able to process his words.

"what do you mean?"

"i mean... we need to warn them. about the ash people," lo'ak explains slowly, staring at tsireya solemnly. his gleaming yellow eyes stand out from the other neon colors around them.

"but what about our children? and my people in the village?" she asks, folding her hands in her lap. she does not understand lo'ak's plan. "there is so much to be done, their homes are gone, their families are injured, some are dead-"

"tsireya." lo'ak takes her hand, maintaining eye contact with her. "you're not listening to me."

"lo'ak..." tsireya breathes, waiting anxiously for his response.

"i understand the village is struggling. it's terrible. but think about the bigger picture- no one has ever heard of these ash people, at least from what i know, and they may be more dangerous than we think. you saw what what happened to your village." lo'ak pauses, looking past her in the direction of the stream. the gurgling noise seems deafening, almost like he was drowning in it, and it takes him back to a dark place.