-ONE

"You think I'm going to sleep in my dead sister's bed?"

According to Jenna, Elena — that was her niece's name, who was seventeen, like her, which was a little awkward — had a boyfriend who she'd been spending all of her time with.

Jeremy had a girlfriend, too — which he vehemently denied, they were strictly friends — and Jenna thought the entire thing was funny.

Elena's boyfriend had a really annoying brother, according to Jenna, who kept shoving his nose in Elena's business and Jenna thought it was super weird.

Elena was also competing for Miss Mystic Falls — whatever that meant, Eden thought it sounded stupid but she didn't say anything — and she was hoping to win.

They ate McDonald's on the way back to the house, and Eden's nerves bundled together at the thought of seeing it again.

She hadn't been since Jeremy was a kid, but she could remember growing up there. Spending summers at the house, bonding with Miranda and Jenna.

She wasn't ready to face Miranda's death yet. She'd mourned her, of course, with Jenna, but she still felt saddened by the thought of her.

It was part of the reason Eden came back. She didn't want anything to happen to Jenna without her being around for it. She couldn't lose her too. Not Jenna.

"And, we're here," Jeremy nodded to the house as they pulled in. "Wait, are you gonna be staying in Mom and Dad's old room?"

Jenna and Eden exchanged a look.

"You think I'm going to sleep in my dead sister's bed?" She asked him with raised eyebrows.

He shrugged, seemingly brushing off her morose comment. She liked that, liked Jeremy. He was a lot like Jenna, just quieter. Subtle jokes and dark humor — she had a feeling they'd get pretty close.

"I'm just saying, it's been empty for months. Not like they'll care."

Jenna and Eden burst into laughter at his comment, Jeremy smiling at the joke.

"No," Jenna shook her head. "She'll bunk with me but Eden's trying to get her own place."

Jeremy looked at her in surprise. "I thought you were seventeen."

Eden nodded. "I am, I know here you have to be eighteen, so I'll probably have Jenna co-sign. My parents left me some money so I'm covered for awhile."