Roses are Red

Loud music could be heard from the streets of the Camden Student Center where the party was being held.

A little timidly, Maia followed Cindy and Emma up the driveway. She had not been to a party ever. She was nervous.

"This will be so much fun!" Emma exclaimed brightly as they walked up the front steps. She turned and noting Maia's worry added, "Don't worry-you'll be fine! Just relax and have fun!"

As they entered the room, they were greeted with the swinging tunes of latest pop hits and boisterous chatter. Bright colored lights flashed about. Some students were gathered in groups talking and laughing while couples danced on the floor in time to the upbeat music.

It was all so...loud.

A little nervously, Maia made her way through the crowds, almost bumping into a dancing couple while trying to avoid bumping into the snack table. Finally, she made it to a safe corner in the room near an open window.

She leaned against the wall, letting the fresh air fill her lungs and blow in her face. This is a bit better. She could see what was going on, but from afar.

"You overwhelmed too?"

Startled, Maia turned to see a college boy in a leather jacket. He had wavy hair and was sitting on one of the ledges to the windows. She shrugged. "It's..." she tried to find the right word.

"...Overwhelming," he finished.

"Yes," she nodded. "Exactly."

"Frat parties usually are," the boy shrugged. Than with a smile, he held out his hand. "I'm Erick, a junior in college; I don't think we have met before."

"Well it's nice to meet you," Maia shook his hand. "I'm M-"

"Maia Langston, the winner of the PA Championship Race," Erick finished. He grinned as Maia's jaw dropped.

She stared at him. "How..."

"I'm from Pennsylvania, Philadelphia to be specific" He waved his hand, offhandedly. Then he beamed, "I saw you race in Philly, gosh you're one hell of a driver."

"Uh, thanks," Blushing, Maia turned her face away to hide the heat rising in her cheeks.

The two college students were silent for a moment, watching the party unfold. Suddenly the music switched to a jazzy swing tune from the forties.

"Maia," She turned and looked at Erick. "Yeah?"

"I'm not that good of a dancer," he shrugged and held his hand out. "But I'd be happy to give it a try if you'd like?"

He's asking me to dance? Maia's eyes widened slightly. He's asking me to dance! "I...uh..." she stammered, uncertain. What would Jacob think?

Then Emma's words came back to her. She had to live her own life-who cared. Jacob did not get to make the choice for her, she got to choose what she wanted, and right now she wanted to dance.

With a smile, Maia accepted his hand. "Sure," she grinned. "I'd love to."

Erick pulled her out onto the floor, expertly maneuvering her smoothly into the open swing position. His words before were completely un-exaggerated. He was a great dancer!

Maia loved the feeling of twirling in time to the music. Erick had a way of making it so she had to do barely anything, yet it still was a professional perfect swing dance with no mishaps.

When the song finally ended, Erick led Maia to the drink table.

"Here," he handed her a glass with a smile, "thirsty?"

Laughing, Maia nodded, her cheeks red with the exertion of the dance. "Yes, but good-tired," she sipped the cold punch and sighed. She was having so much fun! She was glad Cindy had been able to convince her to come.

"What are you thinking about?"

Maia turned to see Erick's blue eyes twinkling as he watched her, a slight smile on his face. "About how much fun I'm having," she grinned. Then with a sigh, she set her cup down on the table. "But it will all be over after tonight."

"You'll still have plenty of adventures back home," Erick tried to reassure her, "I'm sure you'll be glad to see your family and friends again."

"Yeah," Maia shrugged. "I guess." I won't be seeing them though, will I? With the internship I won't see them until... Christmas break! Or maybe I can squeeze a week in before school starts in the fall?

All at once, Maia noticed how the boisterous atmosphere had lowered to a more calm, closing. A soft song started playing in the background and couples formed, swaying in time on the dance floor.

"Want to dance one more time?" Erick asked with a smile. He quoted her, "A way to remember this last night before it's 'all over tonight'?"

Smiling, Maia accepted his hand. "I'd love to."

Erick led her once again for a final time onto the dance floor and they waltzed in time to the slow music.

She found her mind drifting off as she thought of school-home-her father-Sideswipe-Jacob...

"You're very pretty," Erick suddenly broke into her thoughts. "You know that, right?"

Startled, Maia looked up, catching his gaze. Before she could react, he leaned down and kissed her on the lips.

How dare he? He just kissed her... after just meeting her? Barely knowing her? Without asking?

All at once, Maia was pulled into reality. Pulling away from his arms, she glared at him. "How could you?"

Erick seems shocked by her actions. "I'm sorry, I-"

"You're such a jerk!" Furious, Maia grabbed the nearest drink and threw it on his shirt. She then turned and stormed out of the room.

What on earth had she been thinking when she had agreed to come to this party?