Party into the Night

I can't believe I'm done. Maia kept thinking the words over and over as she exited the classroom and walked down the busy halls. Her last subject of the semester, last subject of freshman year! She was finished! Her internship started next Tuesday-why life was moving along quickly!

"Hey Maia, are you going to the party tonight?"

Turing the teenager saw Cindy heading towards her.

"What party?" Puzzled, Maia asked.

"The end of the school year, Senior-hosted celebration party," Cindy walked up and matched her friend's pace as they continued down the hall. "It will be lots of fun," she elbowed Maia. "You should go."

Frowning, Maia was uncertain. She had avoided all the parties earlier on in the school year so that she could study more.

"Come on, you can't have more studying," Cindy grinned. "You're finished for the year-aren't you?"

"Well..." Maia bit her lip, she was finished. There was no reason why she could not at least go-just for fun. I mean, a little part of her was kind of a smidge curious.

With a grin, Maia looked up at her friend and nodded. "Sure, I'll go."

"Great! It's at seven," Patting her on the shoulder, Cindy hurried on. "I have to go tell the others, see you tonight."

"Bye!" Maia waved. Exiting the school she had a sudden thought. What on earth was she going to wear when she owned no fancy dresses?

*********************

"Nope."

"Too old."

"Too young."

"ooh-I like...naw, never mind."

Sighing, Maia threw down the black maxi dress she had just tried on. She threw her hands up. "Okay Emma, then what do you suggest I wear? I've got nothing else!"

"Hmmm," Climbing off her bed, Emma walked past the girl and began rummaging through the closet. "There's got to be something here....aha!" She pulled out a dark purple cocktail dress that had a purple overlay shawl built into it. "Here," she shoved the dress at Maia. "Try it on."

Rolling her eyes, Maia slipped the dress over her head-it felt soft and light. The built in lace shawl fell over her shoulders and arms gracefully with an air of elegance. The skirt fell to the perfect length halfway down her leg-not too short, not too long.

Maia smoothed the dress and looked up at Emma. "What do you think?"

The teenager just gaped at her, "Maia...that...." clasping her hands together, she squealed. "It looks amazing!!!"

Maia could not help feeling excited. Her excitement of going to a party grew as she pulled her auburn hair back into a loose bun at the nape of her neck. She was ready to have the time of her life.

*****************

Jacob sat at his desk, staring at his phone which rested in front of him on the table. His gaze did not leave the long list of his unanswered messages to Maia.

Why was she ignoring him? He had not meant to offend her...he...he just longed to see her again. He couldn't imagine another year passing without getting to see her again.

With a sigh, Jacob picked up the phone and slipped it into his pocket. Maybe it was time to move on. Then almost as quickly as this thought had struck him, Jacob shook his head. No, Maia was not like that. He would wait for her-he would give her some time and space.