Ch. 1: New Beginnings

A news team was at the Zoo, filming the newest additions to the zoo.

"Here at the San Diego Zoo, just a few days ago, almost fifty alligator eggs hatched." A reporter said.

The camera showed the massive tank filled with baby alligators swimming with their mom, Bullet.

"By far, the most popular, is the youngest hatchling, appropriately named, Marshmallow."

The footage switched to an all white hatchling, laying on the back of her father, Tank.

Some of the news team found this so cute and awed from behind the camera.

"A rare albino alligator, a once in a life time hatch, is here for all to see." The reporter said as the camera zoomed in on Marshmallow.

"And from what we've been told by local Zookeeper, Luz Noceda, she's a bit of a daddy's girl."

The camera switched to Luz, who began her interview.

"She was the last to hatch, so while Bullet was with the her brothers and sisters, Tank was there to witness his baby girl hatch." Luz said, "She hasn't left Tank's side since."

"Is that's sort of fatherly instincts or has the baby imprinted on Tank the most?" The reporter asked.

"I would say it's a bit of both." Luz said, "She seems to be very fond of Tank, possibly sensing that he knows how to protect her."

"Fascinating. Truly fascinating." The reporter said with a nod.

"Nature and it's creatures really are." Luz said with a smile.

"Interesting fact, Crocodilian eggs, such as crocodiles, Alligators, caimans, and other animals like them, the gender of their hatchlings are determined by the temperature of the eggs. When the temperature is above 93, it will produce males, when its below 86 it produces females. We have the temperature is at 88, which produces both males and females." Luz said.

"Fascinating. So you know exactly how many of the almost fifty baby alligators are male and female?" The reporter asked.

"A good zookeeper always knows." Luz said with a smile, "Including Marshmallow, we have 29 females and 20 males. In total we have 49 alligator hatchlings."

"My my, that has to be some sort of record." The reporter said to Luz.

"Actually, this is pretty average in the animal kingdom, female alligators like Bullet lay between 35 to 90 eggs at one time." Luz said, "And despite what many believe, most females will stay with a male alligator they've mated with. Which means we might be having more babies added to the armory, which is what we call Tank and Bullets enclosure. Although, I don't think anyone will be more popular than Marshmallow."

"I think the people can attest to that." The reporter said as the camera turned to see the people taking photos of Tank and Marshmallow.

"Indeed." Luz said.

Inside of the alligator exhibit, Marshmallow looked at the humans and wondered why they were so interested in her.

"Mmm?" She let out with a head tilt.

Tank looked and climbed into the water, Marshmallow still on his back, and brough her over to the window, so everyone can get a closer look at his baby.

"Humans like what's unique and beautiful, sweetie. That's what you are." Tank said, even if Marshmallow couldn't understand him.

The hatchling got off Tank's back and swam up to the window. allowing everyone to see her.

"Mommy, look! She's so cute!" A little girl said as she kneeled down to Marshmallow in front of the window.

Luz smiled, Marshmallow was a big hit with everyone. Nobody could resist a cute baby animal of any kind, though the newer ones tend to get the most affection from the zoo visitors. First it was Tyler the tiger cub, now it was Marshmallow the albino baby alligator.