Made to Shine - Shining Light - Chapter 9

A/N - Notice the video on the right side!!!

And please vote, tweet, like and comment...when this story reaches 1,000 votes, I am going to put it in the Watty Awards!!

___________________

Chapter 9

‘When God opens a door for you, walk through it. You never know when the door will open or how quickly it may close. So take every opportunity to see God work through your obedience.’

The next night Ben picked Emily up at seven fifteen for their eight o’clock dinner reservations at The Four Seasons with John and his wife Ashley. John had been happy with the office buildings. He settled on one in the city, the one with the nice offices had been chosen and next week, Ben would be interviewing secretaries.

He would love for Maggie to move to the city and continue being his secretary, and didn’t know what he would do without her. She had her family to think of and loved being close to her grandchildren. Ben knew he could not hold a candle to them.

When Emily walked out, Ben’s heart almost leapt from his chest. She was dressed in a strapless deep purple cocktail dress that hugged her body in all the right places. It stopped just above the knee and showed off her toned legs and strappy black heels. She wore her hair up in a twist, and all Ben could think about was later that night taking her hair down and running his fingers through it.

Ben said exactly what his reaction showed on his face, “You look beautiful!”

“Are you sure it is OK? I mean, is it too much?”

Unable to speak at first, Ben shook his head, cleared his throat and said, “Uh, no, it’s perfect.”

Emily kissed her grandmother goodnight, picked up her clutch purse and silk embroidered wrap and went downstairs with Ben.

“You’re so beautiful,” Ben said as he took her in his arms and kissed her. After a moment, he pulled away and said, “We better go, or we’ll never make it. Although a part of me would like to stay here kissing you all night.”

“I’m sure John wouldn’t like that!” Emily said with a smile.

“No, but then again, he has been married three times, maybe he would understand.” Ben put his hand in the small of her back and led her outside to his father’s car.

As they settled in the car for the ride into the city, Emily said, “something exciting happened today.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I received an invitation.”

“To Becky’s wedding? I was going to talk to you about that. Would you like to go with me to the rehearsal dinner and the wedding. I mean I kind of assumed you’d be going, but I need to formally ask.”

“Sure, but that was not the invitation.” Ben waited and Emily finally said, “I was invited to participate in a Best Bakery competition. They’lll judge best cookie, bread, pastry and wedding cake. They’ll give prizes for each category, but the overall winner will get a spread in Gourmet magazine! Do you know what that could do for the bakery? And I’m only one of two bakeries chosen from the city, and there’s only ten in the country. Can you believe it?”

“I’m so proud of you! Whatever you need me to do to help you, don’t hesitate to ask! Promise me, you’ll let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you!”

“I promise. It won’t be for a few weeks, but I’m excited.”

“You should be,” Ben had his hand already laced in Emily’s, he brought the back of her hand to his lips, “I’m so proud of you.” Emily smiled, Ben had always supported her and it was one of the things she appreciated about him.