Made to Shine - Shining Light - Chapter 8

A/N - Short...but sweet...I think you will like it!!

________________

Chapter 8

‘God places people along our path that are there for a purpose. Maybe the purpose is for us to encourage them or they might be there to encourage us. There are also people that God has placed in our lives for us to walk together and join our paths. This union will not only make us stronger Christians, but will also serve God in a way that is pleasing to Him.’

After the paperwork was signed, Ben took Emily to show her five different office spaces. When done, he took her to a little Italian restaurant in their neighborhood. Pasta Bella’s had not changed. From the checkered table clothes with the candles in the little red jars, to the garlic knots covered in buttery garlic goodness that arrived at your table steaming hot as soon as you were seated. Ben had first brought Emily there right after they started dating in high school, and it had always held a special place in their heart. Walking inside again with Ben, Emily realized that this had always been and will always be their special place.

Over the past few days, Emily and Ben’s relationship had moved from the love that they had as teenagers, to a love that was deeper than they had ever felt before. Ben was certain that Emily was the person he wanted to spend every day loving and making happy. A part of him wanted to take his time and show her how much she meant to him, while another, very real part of him wanted nothing more than to marry her and make her his.

They sat in a dimly lit corner booth next to each other already knowing what the other would order. Ben ordered fried calamari as an appetizer for them and then lasagna for his dinner and Emily ordered the seafood linguine.

Earlier in the week, Ben had been taken around by a realtor and shown about twenty office spaces, tonight he took Emily to his top five picks to get her input. Tomorrow John Windham would be arriving to see the top three picks to help make the final decision.

“I liked the first place, I mean, who wouldn’t with that view of the city? And the third place, didn’t have the view, but the the offices were much nicer.”

“Yeah, those are my two favorites too. What did you think about the one over here? I mean, I’d love to have the office in this neighborhood, but I don’t know if John would. I mean, it’s not glamorous like the city.”

“But maybe you can sell it as the hometown feel. Not an overpriced stuffy office,” Emily offered.

“True, but with our firm specializing in corporate law, I think he’d like the office in the city, but I’m going to show him the one over here, all he can say is no.”

“Well, the city is a lot closer than DC,” Emily said taking a bite of calamari that had just arrived, “I am glad to have you back.” Emily was, now that they had reconciled, and been spending time with each other, she could not wait to hear his voice and see him at the end of each day when he would come to see her. The hours together were meaning more to her as the days went by. And all day long she anticipated his arrival.

“Well, there might be times that I’ll need to go to DC for meetings and such, but I hope to find out more tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, John and his wife will be in town, would you like to go to dinner with us? I’d really like you to be there.”

“OK. I just feel bad leaving Grandma home so much at night.” Emily had gone to school at night, so it wasn’t like Grandma had never been left alone, but Grandma’s health concerned Emily.

“I know. I tell you what, this weekend we will spend with Grandma. Mom really wants the two of you to come over for Sunday lunch and Saturday night, maybe we’ll have game night or movie night at your apartment. What do you think?”

“I guess.”

“Em, you can’t be with her forever,” Ben said, “I mean, you won’t live with her forever.”

“Why not? I need to take care of her. I promised Grandpa.”

“I know, but I thought, you know,” Ben didn’t really know how to broach the subject and he wasn’t ready to propose tonight. It had to be special. “I mean, eventually we will, you know.”

“No. I don’t. What?” Emily had an idea. She knew she loved Ben and wanted to be with him, but she also knew the last time he tried to propose he did it just because he was afraid he would lose her. She didn’t want a proposal out of necessity or fear of losing each other. She wanted a promise of a love that would last a lifetime. She knew that they loved each other, but they were from different worlds, would a ‘ragamuffin’ fit into the world of a corporate lawyer? Would a flour covered girl from a bakery, with a mother that did not want her, fit into a world with multimillionaires at dinner parties?

“Em, I love you. I see us together forever. Do you see us living with Grandma after we are married?”

“Ben, we haven’t talked about marriage, I don’t know. I mean, the apartment is convenient for my work in the bakery. Especially since I’m at work so early in the morning. And I’m not going to kick Grandma out of her home.”

“I understand that. But, lets say we do get married, which is what I would like to do eventually. Do you want us to live with Grandma?”

“I’ve never thought about it,” Emily said sinking back into her seat. She could not imagine leaving Grandma. She had lived there for thirty years. And now Grandma needed her more than ever.

“Well, maybe it’s something we should talk about. I mean, Mom and Dad are happy I’m home and have told me I can live there as long as I want, but I’ll need my own place eventually.”

“Are you saying you want to get married because it’ll be more economical and then you’ll have a place to live? Because that is no reason to get married!”

Ben shook his head, this was not going well. The server came with their dinners and Ben reached over to take Emily’s hand, but she pulled it away. “Please,” Ben said as he reached for her one more time. This time she did not resist him. “When, and notice I said ‘when’ and not ‘if’ but WHEN we get married, it is because I love you and can’t live without you. That I want to share all of myself with you and I want you to share all of you with me. I love you more than anything.” Ben turned in the booth bench to look directly at her and he put his hand on her face and turned her towards him. “If tomorrow comes and John says that I need to throw in the towel and move back to DC. I’d give my notice right then and move back here no matter what, just to be with you. I love you.” Ben knew the booth was dimly lit, but he didn’t care, he put his mouth next to her ear and said, “I want you more than you will ever know.” He kissed her on her jaw. “But, I am waiting for you until we are married.” He moved his mouth down her neck to below her ear and kissed her. His hot breath tickled Emily’s neck and sent goosebumps down her spine. “But, that doesn’t change the fact that sitting this close to you sends every fiber of my being into overdrive.” He kissed the base of her neck where it indented and sloped towards her breasts. His fingers wove into her hair as his kisses trailed to her other ear sending waves of desire and want through Emily’s body. “That when I am not with you, I long to be with you. That as soon as I kiss you goodnight and leave your presence, I ache to be in your arms again.” Ben drew back and looked into her eyes, “Em, I love you, I want you and you are the desire of my heart that God has promised me.” Ben kissed her passionately, drawing her body close to him and Emily returned his kiss letting him know that he was all she ever wanted and desired too. At that moment, Emily realized that together, with God, they were exactly what each other needed.