Made to Shine - Shining Light - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

‘When you don’t live up to the plans God has for you, are you living in his will? When God has given you a talent, but you are not using it for Him, are you like the servant who hid his talent, not daring to risk losing it. Yet, when the master returns and the talent has been buried all those years, the master is upset because the talent he gave was not used and wasted. Are you wasting the talents God has given you? Have you buried your talent, not wanting to risk the chance of going out on a limb for God? If so, whose will are you walking in? His? or yours?’

Emily put her devotional book down and began getting ready for the day. It was going to be busy, Saturday in the bakery always was. Today, she and Scott not only had a wedding cake to deliver, but she also had to finish three birthday cakes and two hundred cupcakes for the boy scouts. Not to mention the danishes, pies, pastries and more. Yeah, she needed at least one more person with business picking up, someone in the front to help Grandma. Maybe in a few weeks Grandma would realize the help was needed.

Going downstairs at four, the sky was still dark and there was still a chill in the air. Emily put on the coffee, going to bed at midnight and any sleep she did get was restless, she knew it was going to be a caffeine induced day.

Going out to the alley through the backdoor, she went to where the van was parked to get the display racks from the cupcakes last night at Becky’s party. As she turned around, she noticed someone coming out of the shadows. She jumped and then realizing who it was and relaxed. “Hey you, come help me with these please.”

“Sure thing darlin’,” Scott said. Emily appreciated Scott and his southern heritage, and even after working with him only a few days, she found out quickly that he called everyone darlin’, so she was not offended by his comment. “How did it go last night?”

“Good, the cupcakes were a huge hit. I think we might have a couple of people stopping in this next week to place orders,” Emily said with a smile, and then a yawn. “Sorry, it was a late night.”

“I am sure, well, you tell me what you want me to do to help and I will jump on in and maybe you can work a nap in this afternoon.”

Emily laughed, “Yeah right, and next you will tell me that you have a bridge to sell.”

“I do, the Brooklyn Bridge, are you interested? I will sell it cheap.” Scott said with a laugh as he put the display racks away.

By seven thirty, when the bakery opened, all the pastries were finished and in the cases out front. The pies were in the oven baking, and Scott was mixing the butter cream icing for the cakes and cupcakes. Emily began to hum. A few minutes after Scott turned the mixer off, he looked over at her with a quizzical look and asked, “What are you humming?”

“Huh?”

“You were humming. It sounded nice and I was just wondering what it is you were humming.”

“Oh,” Scott could see the surprise on her face, “I didn’t realize I was humming.”

“And it was beautiful,” Scott said bringing the large bowl of icing over to the table where Emily had been setting up the cakes. “You don’t need to stop, I was enjoying it.”

“Well, let’s just put the radio on instead,” Emily said with a laugh trying to blow off the fact that she had not sung in a couple of years, and she could not remember the last time she had a song in her heart that came out naturally. Sure she told Ben that she sang in the choir, but she had been refusing solos for at least the past five years and with the bakery’s business picking up, she had not made practice in the last two years. So, although she wanted to sing, time, or at least that was the excuse she gave herself and the director, time and being too busy would not allow it.