Ezra

I slowly opened my eyes letting them adjust the sun. I sat up wiping the sleep from my eyes.

It was 12 o'clock. I had to get ready to go to Dion and Keyon's lil sis cookout. Honestly I wanted to sit home and chill but they are my boys.

They had this Whole weekend set up for their sister's graduations, cookout, clubbing, dinners, and a few other things, I might as well enjoy myself.

I've been homies with Dion and Kion since grade school. Honestly they the realist niggas I've meet all my life and I knew this at an early age. Never had a falling out or anything. We've been through it all together.

I was even there for them when they were getting thrown around in the system, I used to let them stay the night when they ran away.

Then Mr. and Mrs. Jones took them in. The money and the new lifestyle didn't change them one bit, they remained humble.

With each day that passed the urge grind became natural. The street names didn't mean shit to us. The need to provide for ourselves and siblings did, we had to make sure our families were good. We went from stick up kids to dope boys and now we're partners with king pins thanks to Mr. Jones.

Mr. Jones gave us something society didn't. He gave us a chance, he saved us all from something.

When I was younger my step ol boy used to beat my mom. When that wasn't enough he used to beat me. It went on for years. When Keyon and Dion moved to the Jones residence they told him. I mean the bruises were visible but when he'd ask me about it I couldn't tell him.

In my head all adults were the same and he'd go tell my step ol boy like the teachers from school.

Then one night he came knocking at my door with Mrs. Jones. My step ol boy had just came home from the bar and started beating us. She took us to the hospital and Mr. Jones handled my step ol boy.

Two weeks later the police found his body face down in a near by lake. He had almost every bone in his body broken and a bullet hole between his eyes.

Shortly after the Joneses helped us move into a better house. A year later my biological father came out of jail. Mr. Jones gave him a job in one of his legit firms. And we've been cool ever since.

I looked at the naked broad wrapped in my sheets next to me. I really wanted to kick her out but the sex was good but it wasn't all that. Feels like no matter who I sleep with or how many times something is always missing.

I couldn't stop thinking about Leilani. I wonder if she good.

I got up and jumped in the shower. By the time I got out ol girl was dressed and getting ready to dip.

I pulled the sheets off my bed and dumped them in the laundry basket then headed to the door.

I pulled up in front of a corner store, I needed to pick something up for Leilani. I know I didn't have to but I wanted to.

Then I dropped Bridgett or what ever her name was home. I pulled into their driveway and parked. I sat in the car gathering my thoughts. I couldn't take my mind off of Leilani and I didn't know why.

It seems like everyone in the hood knew I liked her except her. Yesterday when she walked by after work I knew she'd ignore me like she does every other time. When she stopped I thought I was a step closer to her acknowledging me but it wasn't, she continued walking.

I got out and went around back to see some of the boys setting up tables and chairs.

I could see Leilani laying down on her stomach. I walked over to some of the boys who were chatting it up, shortly after Dion joined in.