Chapter Fifteen

Reid

Mallory was silent throughout the drive to the Lake. Her hair dripped rain onto the seat, making a tiny plodding noise with every drop. Her mascara was streaked down her cheeks, mingled with tear tracks she didn't bother to brush away.

I knew Mallory would start talking once she felt comfortable enough. So I parked and opened her car door, offering a hand. She took it cautiously and got out. And so we walked in silence, into the forest.

Once we reached the edge of the woods, she tore herself away from me and broke into a run. Alarm overtook my senses. I watched her figure disappear from sight in seconds. I gave chase once my shock subsided, but Mallory was always good at track. I wasn't sure how I knew that, but Tony must have told me.

Eventually, the dense forest gave way to a smooth, sanded area free of plants. Mallory sat in the center; her knees curled to her chest, moon-like flowers in the groves reflecting the moonlight onto her frame. She looked goddess-like, ethereal. A pillar of marbled perfection, whom I stood beside.

She raised her head, and I saw that she was crying again, pearlescent tear tracks on her cheeks. I walked to stand by her and kneeled so that we were on the same level, taking her hand in mine. She seemed comforted by it, but her cupid bow mouth turned downwards at the corners. She looked terribly sad.

"I love you so much, Reid. You don't understand how much I love you, even now. But you don't remember." Mallory said resignedly, brushing the tears away from her cheeks. "And I don't see the point in trying if I can't get past it."

I said nothing, because I understood what she meant. How many times was my accident going to hurt her, over and over? How many times would I let her cry over me?

I sat beside her on the floor, watching the silver water flow over and over. The quicker currents that surfaced were quickly lost to the lake's general ebb and flow. It reminded me of Mallory, and how she fought for us. I tried as well but inevitably, the truth of our situation became clear. Our ending wouldn't be happy.

"We can't torture ourselves anymore, Reid," Mallory said listlessly. She brushed the back of her hand under her eyes, to clear the smudged eyeliner away. "Seeing you in pain hurts me. And it must hurt you to see who I really am. Not perfect, not beautiful. Just another pane of glass on the verge of breaking."

I stared at the water. "I see that, but you can't overlook my own opinion on this. We've both changed because of the accident, so you can't hold me in higher regard than yourself. I'm as tarnished as you are, if not more."

Mallory smiled bitterly. She brushed a waterfall of her long hair over her shoulder, looking at me still. "I'm sure Nina would be more than happy to rescue you."

"You're the only one I want. I never once gave you reason to doubt me, so why is it so hard to believe that?" I said fiercely.

"Because I'm scared!" Mallory got up and stepped towards me, her hazel eyes burning. Her hair was long and brown, streaming to her lower back. The dress she wore was white and crystalline, like a rippling stream. But her eyes only spoke of vengeance.

I stared at her, hoping she would reconcile her hatred. Eventually, it faded into emptiness. She sighed quietly, then talked. "I'm terrified that something will go wrong again. Or worse, I'll realise that we just don't work. We've tried so many times, Reid. Nina keeps forcing her way into our relationship, and I'm not in the headspace to make us work. Even though it's you. I love you, but you can't love me until you remember us."

"Who said so?" I demanded, approaching her. She looked at me with wide eyes. "I said I loved you regardless of what I know. Isn't that enough for you?"

"Relationships need more than that, Reid." Mallory said softly. She took my cheek in her hand, looking at me with empathy in her eyes. "We were good together, but it's time. Don't you feel it?"