Bonus / Formals

Formals. The simultaneous nightmare and dream of high school students. Nights filled with drinks, interactions and consequent mistakes that everyone would regret later.

For people like Mallory, it looked like a dream. Blessed with a gorgeousness that appeared so natural, they radiated light. There is a particular beauty in making others feel beautiful, that cannot be replicated with insincerity. And heaven on earth, Mallory had it. Despite her being only seventeen, she had wisdom that surpassed her years by far.

She spent the night swept away in Reid's arms. They both appeared to have avoided the awkward stage of youth and discomfort in relationships, because they were the brightest people in the room. It was impossible to tell whether Reid was immersed like Mallory in the event. But from the way his eyes always moved back to his girlfriend and the way his smile was ever-present around her, Reid's adoration was unquestionable.

The odds were nearly impossible to beat; the near-zero possibility that they would find each other. And yet they beat it all. Mallory and Reid seized their chance for a relationship. They only hoped that it wouldn't die out in their time at college together.

Everyone loved Mallory and Reid for the people they were. But this wasn't universally agreed on. In fact, this apparent perfectness inspired stronger hatred in some.

Formals were nights of dreams. But they were also nightmares for many.

Nina had a completely different vision from Mallory, the latter of whom only saw beauty. Nina was always the realist in their friendship. She saw a scene that broke her heart. A couple surrounded by people, looking at each other like there was only one other person in the room. It sickened her.

Nina only saw arguments at formals, private insults whispered behind curtains. Formals, proms, they were ugly things. The constant comparison, a need to be best dressed, have the best partner. It was a stupid tradition held in a cramped, sweaty room that she needed to escape.

If only Nina knew how they felt. Beauty, perfection; it was a shadow to hide behind. Mallory concealed everything ugly about her to project the version that everyone knew. Reid was trying to escape the box he was pushed into.

Formal dances were all about appearances. Appearances were what Mallory and Reid did best.

///