Feeling Bad For A Reason

866 A.D

Amania was in a period of celebration that was slowly becoming a period of loss and confusion. In just three days, a woman was found dead in the ocean and now, a man was missing and was presumed to also be dead.

The Elders were suspecting that perhaps they should suspend the festival to celebrate their victory over the hurricane a year ago. They suspected that the gods were trying to warn them not to have the festival because as it seemed, more bad times were dawning upon them with these two similar calamitous incidents.

A few citizens of Amania wanted the festival to be postponed while some others, Hannah included, wanted the festivities to be carried out just as scheduled. Hannah led the few people to the tent of the Elders to convince them that it was important for the community to have this moment to celebrate their victories and to band together in unity despite their recent problems.

.

.

.

“Hannah, we know you and the rest of the people mean well but it is our duty as the leaders of this great community to read the signs and the signs seem to want us to not have this festival,” One of the elders said to her during the meeting to determine if the festival would hold as initially planned.

“My Elders, I understand your caution and I know that it is necessary to read the signs but I strongly believe that the two incidents involving two members of this great community shouldn’t deprive everyone else this opportunity to gather in unity and give thanks to the gods for guiding us in our darkest time,” Hannah said.

“I admire your enthusiasm, Hannah, but this is what has to be done for the good of the people,” The female Elder said to her.

“Is it really?” Hannah asked and moved closer to them, “I remember that day when the storm came. I remember how frightened everyone was and I remember how quickly the people ran to the shelter for protection, a shelter that was constructed under the leadership of my husband who unfortunately was caught out in the storm.

“His vision to have the shelter constructed was for the good of the people and how did everyone repay him? By leaving him out to die. No one was brave enough to leave the shelter to go and find him even though it was his construction that kept everyone safe. I had to go out and look for my husband while everyone else, including you, my elders took cover and worried only about yourselves.”

“That is enough, Hannah,” The third Elder shouted, offended by her words.

“Do not get me wrong, I did not expect anyone to risk their lives for Garin and I don’t blame anyone for not going out into the storm to save him. All I’m trying to say is that as much as this land has been a gift to my husband and I, so have we been a gift to this land. You could honour us by letting the ceremony happen because that is what is truly good for the people,” Hannah said her final piece.

The Elders began to whisper among themselves so they could make their final decision and Hannah looked on, hoping they would agree with her and the others’ demands.

.

.

.

Garin carried a cup of water and took it to his guest at his house. He offered her the water and took a seat while she drank.

“Is there anything else I can get for you, Nina?” Garin asked her.

“No, Garin, I’m fine. Thanks a lot,” Nina said.

“So, how have you been holding up?” He asked, truly sorry for her loss.

“I’ve been trying my best to not lose hope that maybe he could turn up anytime from now. Until he is confirmed to be dead, the normal thing would be to assume that he’s still alive, right?” Nina said.