Chapter Twenty One

The next morning I woke up in Lilith's bed. Her warm embrace was everything and untangling myself from her proved more difficult than one would think. Especially when her fingers danced over my tattoos as she placed lazy kisses on my lips causing me to melt further into her. "You know I have to go before more questions are asked," I murmured against her. I smirked when I felt her arms tighten around me, "You're my girlfriend remember? Let them ask." I huffed out a laugh, "Yes but part of that is getting me home at a decent hour and I just stayed out all night. We're lucky if my mother isn't tearing apart Greendale looking for me right this moment." She rolled her eyes dramatically, "Fine. I suppose I can abide by her rules just this once." I raised my eyebrow when her arms remained locked firmly in place. "That means you have to let me go, my love," I chastised. She looked like a petulant child as she pouted and released me. I gave her one last lingering kiss before taking my leave. Once home I barely made it through the door before my mother came breezing in. "Thank Satan you're home. Have you heard what's happened?" She asked frantically. "No. Is everything alright?" I questioned furrowing my eyebrows. "Not in the slightest. There was an accident down at the mines. Ambrose is down in the embalming room preparing to receive the bodies, your Aunt Hilda is at that trash peddler's shop, and Sabrina has gone to check on Harvey. I need you to stay here today and help run the mortuary. At least be prepared to direct them where to take the bodies and receive any distraught family members who may find their way here." I nodded slowly taking in all of this information. Surely this wasn't a coincidence when just a few days prior we saw the Kinkles in Moon Valley and this was certainly within the Weird Sisters power. My mom caressed my cheek lovingly, "That's my girl. Where have you been anyways?" My thoughts quickly snapped back to the present. There was no point in lying. "I've been seeing someone," I explained carefully, gauging her reaction. She studied me for a moment, taking a drag off her cigarette and turning to walk into the kitchen, "and who is the lucky witch?" I followed my mother treading lightly, "Are you sure you want to know the answer?" Without looking in her direction I moved about the kitchen attempting to busy my shaking hands by making us both coffee. Her voice was even and flat, "The Wardwell woman?" I frowned to myself at the disdain hidden behind her words. I found myself wanting to correct my Mother. Not Mary Wardwell. Lilith, the first witch and mother of Demons. If she knew her true nature then perhaps things would've been different. Although I'd rather her think I was seeing an average excommunicated witch than a mortal woman any day of the week. I turned to her, handing her the coffee I had made, "Yes. And don't sound like that. She's done a lot to help Sabrina. What second rate witch do you know that can just go about performing exorcisms?" She took a sip of her coffee and scoffed, "Please. You couldn't find someone closer to your own age either? You're young, beautiful, and not to mention powerful. I just think you could do better." I fixed my mother with a look. "Yes, well she makes me happy, Mother," I paused before taking it a step further, "Like the way you and Father made each other happy. And while I would like your blessing I don't need it." I stood my ground as a wave of emotions washed over my mother's features. She nodded slowly, "Very well. Although next time you could at least call if you aren't going to be home." I exhaled relieved. She downed the rest of her coffee pressing a kiss to my temple before leaving to join Ambrose in the embalming room. The rest of the day we waited with bated breath for any news from the mines. Apparently there was difficulty getting through the rubble of the collapsed tunnels so no one really knew if the rescue crew would be recovering survivors or cadavers. As the sun dipped low in the sky Mom, Ambrose, and I all sat around the kitchen table. "I know we're not to meddle in mortal affairs but surely there's something we can do to speed along their efforts," Ambrose frowned seemingly deep in thought. I shook my head, "The whole town is watching, any interference from us would expose the coven." My mother furrowed her brow taking a long draw off her cigarette, "Nicole is right. But perhaps there is something we can do." Ambrose and I both shared a puzzled look. It wasn't in my mother's nature to be so willing to help mortals. "What's that Auntie?" Ambrose questioned almost as if he hadn't heard her correctly. Mom glanced between the both of us, "One of us can astral project into the mine while the other two keep watch. At the very least we can see if there's anyone left alive." Ambrose and I shared a look of shock that slowly morphed into pleased smirks. "Am I actually hearing you correctly Aunt Zee?" Ambrose said in disbelief. Mom scoffed, rolling her eyes, "Oh please, don't make a spectacle out of nothing Ambrose." My smirk grew, "Who knew my mother was such a rebel." She downed the amber contents of her glass and stubbed out her cigarette, "And who did you think you got it from? Now hurry and grab what we need. Time is of the essence."
The next morning we all waited in the kitchen for Aunt Hilda and Sabrina to come home to deliver the grim news. As we all sat at the table I realized none of us had gotten any sleep. Everyone's faces were ghostly white shadowed by heavy bags under their eyes. "We have news. Brace yourselves, it's not pleasant," Mom warned. Ambrose hesitated, "I was astral-projecting last night with Auntie Zee and Nicole keeping watch and I went to the mines. There were no survivors in there." I watched as the gears turned in Sabrina's head, not quite yet processing what Ambrose had just said. Aunt Hilda cleared her throat of the lump that had formed, "Dear, Lucifer. Are you sure?" Ambrose looked to our Aunt and spoke quietly, "I'm fairly certain, yes." Sabrina looked at each of us stammering, "Well, in that case, we should tell them. Harvey is losing his mind with worry. And people might get hurt if the search continues." My mother cut in, "Unfortunately, we can't do that, Sabrina. This is the perilousness of being a witch who consorts with mortals. Having knowledge they don't, not being able to act on it or share it." Sabrina shook her head, "It just— it doesn't make any sense." Mom took a deep breath pitying her, "Things happen. Awful things. Accidents. But the natural order is to be maintained. That's one of our basic tenets. Things must play out as they would without our interference. Otherwise-" Sabrina looked down in defeat, "Bad things happen. I know." My mom continued softly, "It is a terrible tragedy for all of them in there." Ambrose and I looked at each other solemnly. We had both seen many mortals fall to Death's cruel embrace over the years and had become hardened to it. Sabrina was still young and grasped to the mortal world so heedlessly. "Did you know him well, Sabrina?" Ambrose questioned. "Tommy? I'd met him a few times but he meant everything to Harvey. He uh.. he's gonna be devastated." I cleared my throat, "Everyone had a late night. Maybe everyone should get some rest?" I stood glancing down at Sabrina's shell shocked expression and squeezed her shoulder, "Harvey is going to need you. You need your strength."