Chapter 3 | Jasmine

{Timeskip - 3 Months}

{Jasmine POV}

It's been three months since our old party members, Alice and Reynolds's Leywin rejoined our group along with their children as they planned to accompany us until we arrive at Xyrus. From what I've been told and seen they were going to Xyrus because their daughter awakened at the astonishingly early age of three and Reynolds felt that he wasn't able to teach his daughter to her full capacity. At first I was skeptical at her abilities but now, after seeing the kid in action against Adam, I could understand what he meant since just the kids sword skills alone seemed to far surpass her fathers and she was only two minor stages behind him at the moment.

'It's only a matter of time until she surpasses him'

As I was lost in thought I noticed the older of the Leywin twins, Arthur, disappearing into the woods as we were all gathered around a fire and after a second of deliberation decided to follow him, wondering why the kid disappeared every night at the same time.

'He's strange.'

Although I wasn't exactly one who should talk, the kid was an interesting child to say the least. His attitude mimicked my own in the regards to his silent nature but unlike me his silence seems more calculated and with a purpose as he avoided any conversation with anyone other than his sister and never gave anyone a sense of comfort when they were around him.

Throughout the past few months his daily actions seemed to get more and more particular as he was disappear for long periods of time only to reappear when someone pointed out his absence, and while he might've just been hiding nearby the fact they my perception as a wind mage couldn't pick up his presence was slightly troubling.

'How far into the woods is he planning to go?'

As I followed after him I finally arrived at a rather large clearing in which lay a small pond in the center that gave off an ethereal feeling as it glowed under the moonlight.

"Why are you following me?"

Maybe because of the fact that I was distracted by the pond but he had somehow managed to get behind me and stole the dagger off my belt, before asking a straightforward question as his eyes traced the now unsheathed blade.

"I was just curious as to where you go when you disappear."

As he heard my response he just shrugged his shoulders and re-sheathed my dagger as if he lost interest and looked up at the full moon with his usually apathetic expression.

"It's not something you should worry about, it's just I feel more safe when I'm alone."

I tilted my head at the response that was far replaced from what you would expect from a three year old and asked.

"Why?"

He gave a shallow smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and responded to my question in a knowing tone.

"I'm sure you know better than anyone why it's better to be alone."

Hearing his words I couldn't help but frown as I thought back to my family, and as I was about to ask him what he meant by that he cut me off and continued his sentence.

"Frankly, I'd rather not be lectured about why I should spend time with others by someone who doesn't even trust the people who risk their lives for her on a daily basis."

My frown only deepened at the emotional jab and glared at the kid.

"What do you mean by that?"

He finally turned his eyes to meet mine and I felt an unsettling feeling that everything about me was exposed before him.