The light that went out (Alt Ending trigger suicide)

This take place immediately after sins of the past

I left the safe house with nothing but my wallet and Beretta, walking aimlessly into town. I headed towards the first place I met Enid: the side street outside the Weathervane Coffee Shop. A smile crossed my face as I could almost see the past in front of my eyes—the memory of helping Enid with a flat tire and offering her a date.

Entering the coffee shop, a somber and depressed feeling washed over me. I sat at the table where Enid and I had our first date, and the conversations and laughter echoed in my mind. Just as I was lost in reminiscence, a barista interrupted my thoughts. "Would you like to have a coffee with me? You seem lonely," she said kindly. I smiled, and she joined me, offering me a cup of coffee.

"I hope you don't mind, but I'm on break and new in town," she explained. I smiled back at her and looked out the window. "Nice to meet you, and thanks for the coffee," I replied, reaching for my wallet. "Oh no, please don't. The coffee's on me. I'll remember that you like it black for next time," she kindly rejected my money. "No need. I have a feeling that's my last coffee. Take care." Before she could respond, I left and walked into Uriah's Heap, where I met Connie.

"How is that pretty lady of yours, Ernst? Nice to see you," Connie exclaimed enthusiastically. "She is wonderful, living the dream. I just wanted to stop by and say goodbye. I'm leaving town for now," I said, feeling a sense of melancholy as I stared at the spot where Enid had agreed to go out with me. "Oh, that's a shame, Ernst. I hope to see you again. Please don't hesitate to talk to me. I always liked you," Connie said before I walked away, stepping into the street.

Jericho seemed haunted for me. Everywhere I went, I saw reminders of Enid. Knowing that it was likely my last day in town, I decided to walk to the secluded hideout in the mountains—the place I had built for Enid and me, where we had shared our first kiss.

Arriving at the hideout during nighttime, I gazed out towards the town and smiled, feeling a sense of inner peace. I knew that being a shadow was a terrible thing, and Enid deserved someone better than me. I sat down on a chair and let out a defeated sigh. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I felt frustrated and helpless. Nothing in my life seemed under my control, and I felt like a burden to those around me. Instead of fighting hopelessly, I decided to let go and stared at the same stars Enid and I had admired earlier, crying like a child.

Opening my wallet, I found photos of Enid and me in a photo booth—the night I had taken her to a carnival. She looked more beautiful than ever in those pictures. A smile formed on my lips when I noticed a note she had tucked into my wallet, written who knows when. It said, "Dear Ernst, you're sleeping, but I just wanted to say I love you so much. You're the best thing in my life, and I want to give you the world. Be safe :)" Reading those words, I couldn't help but wonder if she truly loved me.

Deciding to call Enid, I held my breath as the phone rang. After what felt like an eternity, she answered with an irritated tone, still groggy from sleep. "What do you want, Ernst? Please don't call back," she said.

"Just listen, Enid. I wanted to thank you for giving me the best time of my life, for sharing countless experiences with me and introducing me to your parents. You taught me how to love when no one else did. Please know that you will always and forever be in my heart, even if you no longer love me. I hope you have a beautiful future and life, and find the dream man I couldn't be. Goodbye, Enid," I poured my heart out, my voice shaking and almost silent.

Before she could respond, I hung up the phone call. A realization struck me— if I truly wanted the best for Enid, ensuring her safety meant I could no longer be a part of her life. The best protection I could offer her was to guarantee that she would never be with me.