Hospital

Word count- 1667
Exhausted and alone, I sat outside Eugene's room, straining to hear the faint beeping of the machine. Since I wasn't a relative or guardian, I wasn't allowed inside to see him. Eugene's parents hadn't arrived yet, so I stood guard, awaiting their arrival. As I sat on a blue cushioned hospital chair in the hallway, an old nun approached and sat next to me, offering a cup of coffee. She spoke in a low, soothing voice, and I immediately felt a deep sense of trust.

Nun: "Hello, Ritter. I thought you would like some coffee."

Ernst: "Thank you. What is your name?"

Sister Maria: "You can call me Sister Maria."

Ernst: "Well, Sister, nice to meet you."

Sister: "Tell me, what is on your mind? You seem troubled."

Ernst: "Well, I guess I've lived a bad life that I don't think I can ever escape from. I've killed innocent people."

Sister: "We've all lived bad lives, but I know you, Mr. Angeles."

Ernst: "Haha, you don't know me, Sister."

Sister: "Forgive me, but that's the problem. You don't know yourself. You're a great man who's done bad things, and you're making up for it right now. Guarding this child and carrying him out of the woods from that monster — that is a noble act that not many could do, let alone would."

Ernst: "Huh, I guess. Well, you see, my parents died because of my line of work. I got sloppy, and they paid the price. That's on me. It seems anyone next to me gets hurt."

Sister: "My son, nothing is on you. My husband and children died a long time ago. Life is full of pain and grief, but there is also love and beauty, my son."

Ernst (tears forming): "I guess... I'm afraid, Sister. I finally met a girl I love, and my past choices might put her in danger. I'm afraid I'll lose her."

Sister: "Be grateful that you finally see your life clearly. Listen, Ernst, take a gamble that love exists and be with her. I'm sure the Lord will watch over you. From what I see, you're a changed man who has atoned for his past sins. I'll see you later, Ernst."

She walks off before I can say anything, heading down the hallway and disappearing around the corner. As Eugene's parents arrive, they ask me who I was talking to. I point down the hall, but the sister is gone. It strikes me as odd since I don't remember telling her my name or about Eugene in the woods, yet she addressed me as Ritter. Before I can dwell on it any longer, Eugene's mom, Janet, approaches me.

Janet: "Thank you so much, Ernst, for saving my boy!" (She squeezes me in a tight hug.)

Ernst: "You're welcome. He's a friend. I just did the right thing."

Sue: "This is Ernst! Oh, how Eugene talks about you helping him pass P.E. He looks up to you. He even started working out."

Ernst: "I'm glad to help. He's my friend, and I do my best to look out for them. But I have to talk to my girlfriend. "

Walking outside the hospital, the cold air and heavy rain hinder my visibility. The hospital is quiet, save for the fading sound of an ambulance. It's just past 4 in the morning, and the sun has yet to rise. As I step onto the large stone steps, the rain soaks my suit, mingling with the blood from Eugene, leaving me drenched in crimson. Observing a man carrying his daughter with his wife beside him, I can't help but feel a deep admiration. I wonder if someone like me could ever have a chance at such a life. Imagining the joy of settling down with the perfect person, I put my hands in my pockets and feel a circular piece of cloth. I pull it out to see my Shadow Company patch—an emblem with a black spade and a rook in the middle, along with the words "Umbra Catervae." The patch serves as a stark reminder that my reality will never be as promising as what I witnessed. Exasperated, frustrated, and lost I stand in silence, feeling the pressure build up until I finally yell, "Goddamit!" in a final cry. I kick over a potted plant and begin stomping on it. Wrapping my arms around my head, I just want to rip my hair out. I want to crawl out of my skin. I want to feel pain Eventually, I find a moment of solace sitting on the steps, contemplating why I'm still here, when I spot my truck rolling into the parking lot, Enid stepping out with a wide smile on her paint-smeared face and dress.

Enid joins me on the top step, sitting silently beside me. I don't utter a word or acknowledge her presence; I simply gaze into the rain, consumed by a sense of defeat. Resting her head on my shoulder, Enid looks at me with a smile and says, "Shh, don't worry. I'm here now, and nothing will come between us." Her words provoke a mixture of watery eyes and distress within me, but I remain silent. Enid, undeterred, speaks sincerely, "Ernst, I understand how you feel, but don't worry. Soon, we can disappear, and you can become the electrician you've always wanted to be." I continue staring into the rain and reply, defeated, "I'm not so sure. My hands are too tied for me to do anything." I sigh, conveying my sense of hopelessness. Confused, Enid looks at me and asks, "What do you mean, Ernst? What's holding you back?" Annoyance lingers within me as I realize I can't reveal the truth to her. "Listen, Enid, it's all very complicated for me right now. We should head back to the academy. I'll drive," I say, slightly frantic and adopting a stern tone.

Enid, appearing both confused and upset, responds, "I guess, Ernst. I don't know what to say, because you're obviously keeping secrets." I retort, "Enid, it's just difficult for me at the moment. We'll get there, but for now, I can't do anything." My words carry a hint of desperation.

We climbed into the truck, and an undeniable tension hung in the air between us. I couldn't help but wonder if I should have been kinder to Enid, but deep down, I knew she couldn't fully grasp my situation. Leaving Shadow Company wasn't as simple as it sounded. It was the only life I had ever known, and I didn't know how to stop being a soldier. Besides, I doubted Phillips would willingly let me go. I had sworn an oath of loyalty to the company, acknowledging that I might sacrifice my life for them. But now that I had Enid, my perspective had changed—I no longer desired to die fighting for a cause.

Lost in my thoughts, Enid interrupted with a soft voice, "Wednesday wanted me to tell you she needs your help with the monster." I looked at her, puzzled. "Why would Wednesday need my help?" I asked, curiosity piqued. Enid replied, "She mentioned something about a black spade and rook. I don't know the whole story, but she believes you could be of assistance." My tension increased upon hearing this. How did Wednesday know about Shadow Company? Trying to hide my unease, I responded, "I'm happy to help a friend," forcing a smile. I parked the truck, and as we stepped out, I noticed Enid briskly walking away. I hurried to catch up, grasping her hand, knowing she was upset. "Enid, please listen. I know you're angry with me, but being in a relationship is new to me. The last one I had was when I was 15, and she broke up with me. Just let me adapt," I pleaded earnestly. Enid gazed at me for a moment, then smiled and embraced me. "Alright, Ernst. I understand how difficult breakups can be. Sometimes you want to isolate yourself. Goodnight," she said. I replied, "Don't you want me to walk you to your dorm?" She looked at me and said, "I would, but Wednesday is waiting for you. She should be here soon." Enid headed into the academy, and as predicted, Wednesday emerged from the building, making her way toward me.

I looked at Wednesday cautiously, wondering if she knew about Shadow Company. If she did, she might reveal my true intentions to Enid or the school. She approached me slowly, extending her hand for a handshake.

Wednesday: "Hello, Ernst. I'm sure Enid told you that I need your help. I don't care about your past, but I do know you have skills I can use. Don't worry, I won't tell Enid."

Ernst: "What are you talking about? I want to be an electrician," I lied.

Wednesday: "You may have fooled Enid with those words, but not me. I'm not sure who you are, but I know you're dangerous. And if we're going to hunt that monster, I need your help."

Ernst: "Okay, you got me. But promise me that Enid won't get involved at all."

Wednesday: "Okay, I can make that promise. Enid won't know. Now, tell me, how do you plan on taking the monster down?"

Ernst: "I'll tell you on the way to my armory."

We got into the truck and took off. Wednesday seemed intrigued by the fact that I had a hidden armory. As we drove, the silence was broken by her.

Wednesday: "I know you've killed people." My heart sank, and I put on a cool facade. "How did you know?" I asked in a calm voice.

She looked at me and said, "I had a vision. I'm not entirely sure who you are, but I do know you've killed. You seem to be skilled beyond the facade you show everyone else, but I see through that."

I remained quiet as we arrived at a decaying bar, boarded up and decrepit. We entered.