Part 6: Guessing games

Hailey's POV

"Hello ?" Kevin says, picking up the phone.

"Hi Kevin, it's Captain Quinn. I was out of the precinct but I've been told you called."

"Yes, I have information about your arson case."

"Great, I'm ready to take notes, go ahead."

"All of the firefighters are officially cleared from any possible suspicions. But we did find another set of footprints that we haven't identified or linked to any of the firefighters, or the victims and we even checked the dead guy."

"How come I didn't know there was a dead guy ?"

"We received the call from the hospital not long ago, when we asked for the personal belongings of the victims, they said one of them didn't make it through the night."

"Well our arson case just turned into arson plus homicide."

"Hey, look at the bright side, at least the doctors had to tell the family and not you."

"Doesn't really make it better Kevin."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Thanks for the info. I'll send you another pair of shoes from our current suspect to check, as well as clothes, to see if you can find any particles that would prove he's been close to a fire."

"You got it, Captain."

After that he hung up. I radio the guys downstairs and ask them to bring the suspect to the interrogation room. I'll let him sink a bit in there before we start questioning him.

An officer knocks on my door. As I signal for him to go ahead he steps aside and Zachary's parole agent enters my office.

"Hi, I'm here regarding Zachary Benjamin Miller's incrimination." She says.

"Yeah, do you wish to speak with him or would you rather just stand behind the glass while we question him."

"Honestly, I don't really wanna see him."

"Ok. Follow me."

I lead her into the interrogation room, behind the glass so the suspect doesn't see her. A knock on the door lets me know that Lizzie is back and we both step into the other part of the room.

"I have to inform you that these rooms are equipped with cameras and they will be on during the full time of your questioning. Have your rights been read to you ?"

"Yes."

"Do you understand your rights ?"

"I want a lawyer."

"Do you have a lawyer or do you wish it is provided for you ?"

"I don't have one."

"Your lawyer will be here shortly."

Lizzie and I step back behind the glass. I tell Lizzie to stay there while I call for a lawyer. They let me know the lawyer will be here in 30 minutes. As soon as the lawyer is here I let him into the room.

"Zachary Benjamin Miller ?" He asks the suspect.

"Are you my lawyer ?"

"Yes."

"Nice to meet you." Zachary says.

"Detective, I'd like to know, is my client being charged ?"

"It's Captain. And yes. Mr. Miller is being charged for breaking his parole, arson and involuntary homicide."

"Wait, homicide ? I didn't kill anyone !" Zachary says.

"Don't talk." The lawyer instructs him. "Captain, I'd wish to talk to my client in private." He says, this time looking at me.